Running Rough at high RPM??

3 replies to this topic
  • JohnnyClickerSetter

Posted October 30, 2005 - 10:02 PM

I just purchased a 2001 XR650R that has very very low miles on it for $3000. It still had the original tires on it when I got it. It had been sitting for awhile, and when I got it the float kept sticking open and the carb would dump gas when I stopped. The bike is completely stock except for a Yoshimura Silencer(stock headers) and I need advise. The bike runs O.K. at low to mid RPM, but at high RPM it cuts out. I just cleaned the carb, and it was full of brown residue(varnish) and all the jets were plugged with goo. All is relatively clean now, replaced gas and I need some recommendations. Am I right in assuming that I need to rejet the main jet? What jet do I need? Also should I change the pilot and needle. I want the bike to run crisp, and I am not afraid to spend the money to make it happen. Is it worth it to swap the Yosh exhaust for a complete system, header and all? Also what air filter should I run? Any other mods I should do, I plan on racing this bike. Please help :banghead:

• TimBrp

Posted October 31, 2005 - 04:05 AM

What jets are in there now, needle clip position etc. Has the bike been uncorked?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JohnnyClickerSetter

Posted October 31, 2005 - 08:47 AM

Carb is all stock. The main jet is a 160, and I forgot to check the pilot jet size, and the position of the clip on the needle. As for the uncorking, I honestly do not know what this consists of. I saw something posted on XR650R.net and I understood most of it except for the manifold replacement, where is this located, and if I have a Yosh silencer, do I need to do this?
Thanks in Advance.

• TimBrp

Posted October 31, 2005 - 09:36 AM

This should get you going:

Uncorking procedure

Also this is a great site too:
Pig Pen

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.