Spongey XR on street

16 replies to this topic
  • xr_stamm

Posted October 30, 2005 - 05:50 PM

I finally took my R out on the street (legally). Other than "cool", my 2nd reaction was .... damn is this thing sprung softly. Is it just me? I'm used to sportbikes, and this is my first dual sport. What is the hook up on increased fork and shock spring rates? Is that it, or is it just me?

• wr450fyamaha

Posted October 30, 2005 - 05:59 PM

it should be very very spongy.....sport bikes have what 3 inches of travle.....your xr has 9.....think about it.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted October 30, 2005 - 09:10 PM

unless its a 79', its got 12 inches of travel...the springs rates are probably fine, but the dampers are probably dead or backed way off.

What year is the bike?

• xr_stamm

Posted October 31, 2005 - 10:26 AM

It is a 2001 650R with a stock shock & spring out back, but I have Ohlins forks from a Cannondale up front. My point, which was lost on wr450fyahmaha, is that I thought motards were supposed to be sprung more like sportbikes. I was suprised that more people weren't compliaing about good dirt vs road manners. My 650R feels great in the dirt, but too soft on the road.

Does anyone speak spring rate, or does everyone just call Dennis Kirk and say "I need new springs", then take what they sell you?

• texsurfer

Posted October 31, 2005 - 11:55 AM

i've never heard that about motards. i've always heard that the reason motards are better than sportbikes in the real world (bad roads, etc.) is that they can handle what the road dishes out.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted October 31, 2005 - 12:16 PM

even with a motard, the susp is way way way softer than any sport bike. and i was talkin about the rear shock being 9 inches.......i think it is right?

• don87xr600

Posted October 31, 2005 - 12:38 PM

wr450fyamaha way to baffle them with bull....

• Shawn_Mc

Posted October 31, 2005 - 03:01 PM

It is a 2001 650R with a stock shock & spring out back, but I have Ohlins forks from a Cannondale up front. My point, which was lost on wr450fyahmaha, is that I thought motards were supposed to be sprung more like sportbikes. I was suprised that more people weren't compliaing about good dirt vs road manners. My 650R feels great in the dirt, but too soft on the road.

Does anyone speak spring rate, or does everyone just call Dennis Kirk and say "I need new springs", then take what they sell you?

The stock fork on your XR is better than the Ohlins off that Cannondale...(my personal opinion, no more)

But at any rate, most street bikes are only dealing with 4-6 inches of travel and you've got 12. So, it'll be softer, especially on the inital stroke. Its not really a matter of spring rate as much as valving. And thats more of an opinion and personal setup thing. Some guys like them stiff, some dont. You sound like the prior. Crank in your compression damping. It should firm right up. Personally I like the compression fairly stiff too, and the rebound just enough to stop wheel hop when you trail brake the rear into the corner...

If its still to "spongy" raise the fork oil hieght. If you cant get it with the clickers and oil hieght you've got no choice other than to simply pull your parts off and ship them to your favorite Suspension tuner.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wr450fyamaha

Posted October 31, 2005 - 05:53 PM

wr450fyamaha way to baffle them with bull....

uuuuh.....no.....i was pretty serious thurr.

• mgs781

Posted October 31, 2005 - 06:41 PM

The stock fork on your XR is better than the Ohlins off that Cannondale...(my personal opinion, no more)

Not for supermoto, the XR fork has too much side flex. It is great for off road, but feels nervous for sm duty. I replaced my XR forks with Marzcocchi USD for that reason.

The XRRs supsension is very soft in stock form. My friend has an R that feels like a mush ball on the road. Increase the compression damping all the way and reduce the rebound. Unless you are going to send the forks and shocks to a shop that does suspension, I would say save your money. I have never improved on suspension enough to justify what I spent.

MGS

• don87xr600

Posted October 31, 2005 - 07:20 PM

uuuuh.....no.....i was pretty serious thurr.

Then why would you compare the amount of wheel travel on a sportbike with the spring length of an xr?

• cholwerk

Posted October 31, 2005 - 10:26 PM

Then why would you compare the amount of wheel travel on a sportbike with the spring length of an xr?

Because he is a moron.

• xr_stamm

Posted November 01, 2005 - 08:59 AM

Have people confused the difference between compression damping and spring rate?

The compression damping adjustment only limits the rate of compression, not the total compression. I generall don't feel the damping rates are that far off in these forks. They seem to just need more spring rate.

I honestly don't know how people ride hard on the street with suspension this soft. YIKES.

• TwoRs

Posted November 01, 2005 - 09:31 AM

The skinny.....Have a 2000 XR650R Motard, wheels, brakes, Racetech springs front and rear, compression dampening maxed out, gearing for FAST, carb, pipe, airbox......etc.

Had GMD computrack check the bike to see what they would suggest to allow the bike to handle at the level I thought it would after reading and seeing alot of people changing to Motard.

The problem is the stock trail from Honda is appox. 111 versus 81 with 17"'s ....this is why the front end will not stick.

The changes needed according to them is shorten suspension, adjustable triple clamps and different valving with the proper spring rate. Total cost approx. 2500.00.

Anyone want to start at the very top with what I have and put the rest into the bike to make it as they put it "a one of a kind kick a__ track bike that would be hard to beat on moderate length tracks"

G

• mgs781

Posted November 01, 2005 - 09:58 AM

Have people confused the difference between compression damping and spring rate?

The compression damping adjustment only limits the rate of compression, not the total compression. I generall don't feel the damping rates are that far off in these forks. They seem to just need more spring rate.

I honestly don't know how people ride hard on the street with suspension this soft. YIKES.

Some people can ride want ever is put under them.

There are very few instances were changing only the spring rate gets the results you want. If you change the spring, you will throw of the compression rates. Do whatever you want. You asked for opinions, right?

MGS

• cat0020

Posted November 01, 2005 - 10:21 AM

My 2000 XR650R has originially used as an enduro racer, turned it into a track bike with Ohlins USD forkleg (from a Cannondale).. that cured lots of the leteral stiffness that I was looking for in a track bike.

Posted Image

When it comes to spongyness, you would have to revalve the damping rate in the forklegs, maybe even change the weight of the fork oil to achieve the compression rate that you are looking for depending on your type of riding.

Yes do do have to consider the ratio between a sport bike suspension travel and the XR's available suspension travel, but that is also up to your personal preference to how aggressive you like the bike to dive into turns.

With stock XR650R front forks, there isn't enough adjustment that you can make to make it suitable for aggressive pavement riding, without major rebuilt of the damping/compression rate and valve changes.. IMO, the stock forks are not stiff enough for motard type riding, doable.. but I wouldn't do it.

• snaggleXR650

Posted November 03, 2005 - 05:23 AM

The stock XR650R is sprung for a 180lb (full riding gear) rider or less. Those of us that are pushing 200-225lb+ with gear would do very well with the proper spring rates. Valving and even ride height also plays a huge factor in street performance. A fork brace will also help the flexiness. No matter what you do though, it will always be a dirt bike, so comparing to a sport bike is pointless.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.