suspension ?

4 replies to this topic
  • skwerlee

Posted October 30, 2005 - 05:45 PM

the front forks on my 426 are stiff as hell & i would like to soften them up. I'm 215 lbs & ride flat ground, not a lot of jumping. which screw do you turn on the top of the froks to adjust preload & rebound? my cousin said he thought it my be low on fork oil, is there a way i can check for that? also the forks have had the seals replaced by the previous owner. thanks for the help guys.

• sirthumpalot

Posted October 30, 2005 - 06:41 PM

At 215# I would not expect you to be complaining of stiff forks, assuming they're stock. Are you sure something isn't wrong, perhaps the forks aren't properly located on the axle (see your manual)?

If I were you, I would change the oil and set the level pretty low. I believe stock is 130mm, I don't remember the min; maybe 150mm? When you put them back together, back out on the compression (bottom adjuster). Also be sure to properly align the forks on the axle or you can get some binding. If that doesn't help then send them to be rebuilt and have them revalved for the type of riding you do.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 30, 2005 - 08:29 PM

One of the things that makes forks seem harsh is that the compression damping has been turned way up to compensate for too soft a spring rate. At 215, you're probably a bit heavy for the stock front springs, if that's what you have, and this may be the problem.

But do try 'Thump's suggestions first. Change the oil and set it in the 130-120mm range and back off your compression damping. If you can keep it from bottoming, then that's good.

Another way to go is a sub tank system. Synergy Seals makes a kit you can use to turn your handlebars into an air reservoir, or you can do Something like I Did and make your own. It helps the 46mm fork a lot.

• skwerlee

Posted October 31, 2005 - 06:51 AM

i put the bike on stands to get the front end off the ground & i turned the screw that is offset on the top of the forks to bleed any air out of them. i got a little bit of air out of each one, though i don't know how much air is considered a lot for this situation. I'm going to buy a service manual so i can work on my bike, also how do you check the fork oil level? i know 215 is a lot but I'm fixing to get back down to my normal weight of 170-180, i had surgery on both of my knees at the end of last year & that has really packed the pounds on me. i ordered my exercise equipment so i can get back to normal weight within about 3 months. thanks for the info guys.

• Ga426owner

Posted October 31, 2005 - 01:56 PM

i put the bike on stands to get the front end off the ground & i turned the screw that is offset on the top of the forks to bleed any air out of them. i got a little bit of air out of each one, though i don't know how much air is considered a lot for this situation. I'm going to buy a service manual so i can work on my bike, also how do you check the fork oil level? i know 215 is a lot but I'm fixing to get back down to my normal weight of 170-180, i had surgery on both of my knees at the end of last year & that has really packed the pounds on me. i ordered my exercise equipment so i can get back to normal weight within about 3 months. thanks for the info guys.

Springs are not what you need if weight loss is emminant....a fork and shock rebuild/refill are. I would get a Suspension Tuner in your area to assist until you are up to speed on how to do it properly.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.