New to the dirt thing

13 replies to this topic
  • scratchadams

Posted October 30, 2005 - 02:18 PM

I am thinking about getting an XR650R. I am new to dirt. I am trying to get all the info on this that I can. I am 5'11 270. So yes I am a fat ass! I am working on that problem. But, since I am new to this. I would use this bike to commute to work. I have about 5000 acres in NW Oklahoma. I would like to learn to trail ride. No MX. I am too old for that. Can I get some suggestions on what bike would be best? Also if you can plant some ideas for the gear I will need. Thanks

• wr450fyamaha

Posted October 30, 2005 - 03:35 PM

5000 acres? man i wish i has a hundreth of that.

• justicedone

Posted October 30, 2005 - 06:08 PM

I think a highly modded L may be just what your looking for. You can see a few pics of mine in the ol "garage" and get an idea of what I have done to a stock L model XR650. Its a great trail bike and can get pretty much anywhere I have the need to go. I wish I had a few acres myself..shit 2 would do for me, wanna seel a few cheap? We can ride together then...lol

• GIANTac1

Posted October 30, 2005 - 06:39 PM

Yo Bro,
cant get much better than "L"! Go for it and have your "fat" ass a pig squealing good time!

• BWB63

Posted October 30, 2005 - 06:40 PM

I have some good friends that are 270+ pounds that can realy make the XR650R sing/rock and roll. http://www.borynack....ce/bwbvideo.htm

http://www.borynack....h_to_to_hav.htm

The XR650R is much lighter then the XR650L by fifty pounds.
The XR650R is much more powerfull then the XR650L. 6hp difference. 8 foot pounds of torque difference.
The two bikes are not the same in any way. Not the same fame, not the same engine, not the same anything. One is a race bike that you can duel sport. The other is a duel sport bike you can ride on the street and some dirt trails. They are for two different riders. Find out what kind of rider you are and by that bike. If you ride eazy and are not looking to push the edge you might be able to put up with the extra 50 pounds of weight and have a electric start but, then a DRZ400 would be the same thing and lighter, same power. DRZ400s is street legel, and the XR650R, KTM525 can be made street legal if you know how. The KTM and DRZ have electric start. My XR650R is street legal as are many, many others.

More info on the XR650R click on these links.

http://xr650r.borynack.com/

http://www.xr650r.us/

http://autos.groups....XR650R/messages

Remember any bike you get you will want to have the suspension resprung for your weight if you want to be happy with it.

Other bikes you might want to lock into would be the XR400, DRZ400e and the KTM 525

• wr450fyamaha

Posted October 30, 2005 - 06:43 PM

he wants to ride on the street though, i vote for heavily moded xr650l......check mine out in my garage....add some suspension work to it and thats about what you need.

• huntmaster

Posted October 30, 2005 - 07:00 PM

he wants to ride on the street though.

Well, a CBR1100XX Blackbird should eat up Oklahoma countryside then!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Old_Man_Time

Posted October 30, 2005 - 07:37 PM

If your state allows you to dual sport the XR650R then that is the one to do it to. It's a great dirt bike and is more road worthy than even a 525. I have a 525 with plates but feel my XR650R would be a much better street bike. My state won't let me plate the 650.

• blueridge

Posted October 30, 2005 - 11:36 PM

If you can plate a 650R in OK, and handle the kick starter, the 650R .... with at least a 4.3 gal. aftermarket tank ... has my vote. That's one of the bikes I have. It gets hot in OK in the summer. The 650L is air-cooled. Also, there are more aftermarket parts for the R. I also have a DRZ400s (in a different place). If you want electric start, great gas mileage, and easier handling on tight trails, try a DRZ (and if you get one, also get a larger aftermarket tank). Not to offend the 650L riders, the L is a great bike, but for me the DRZ does the mission profile of an L better than the L.

• ghoti

Posted October 31, 2005 - 05:56 AM

I am thinking about getting an XR650R. I am new to dirt. I am trying to get all the info on this that I can. I am 5'11 270. So yes I am a fat ass! I am working on that problem. But, since I am new to this. I would use this bike to commute to work. I have about 5000 acres in NW Oklahoma. I would like to learn to trail ride. No MX. I am too old for that. Can I get some suggestions on what bike would be best? Also if you can plant some ideas for the gear I will need. Thanks

If you're new to dirt the L will be a handful because of the weight and the height. The R isn't a beginner bike by any means. The DRZ may be a better choice for you.

• roadcam

Posted October 31, 2005 - 06:45 AM

the DRZ SUCKS on the pavement, any owner will admit that ... the 'R' will require you to spend more $$$ and hassle to get it licensed, and the seat will be much more uncomfortable ... the XR650L is the logical choice for this rider ... as to the weight issue, these runts gotta consider the bike weight just isnt that noticeable to us BIG MEN, ... I dont have any trouble muscling my 'L' around, its just a light workout to me :banghead:

• RingKingPin

Posted October 31, 2005 - 06:58 AM

I'd say go find a d.s'ed 650R otherwise we're going to see you posting up here in five months "How do I get more power from my L." I have two friends that had L's and then they rode my bike. One guy spent $$$$$ trying to lighten and beef up his bike and the other sold the L and D.S.'ed a 650R. If you're looking for a good comfy seat, go to www.gutsracing.com Nothing 100 bucks can't fix! Good luck!
:banghead:

• ghoti

Posted October 31, 2005 - 08:06 AM

the DRZ SUCKS on the pavement, any owner will admit that ... the 'R' will require you to spend more $$$ and hassle to get it licensed, and the seat will be much more uncomfortable ... the XR650L is the logical choice for this rider ... as to the weight issue, these runts gotta consider the bike weight just isnt that noticeable to us BIG MEN, ... I dont have any trouble muscling my 'L' around, its just a light workout to me :banghead:

The weigh and height aren't intimidating to someone with experience, but it will be to a beginner.

• scratchadams

Posted October 31, 2005 - 09:21 AM

You guys are awesome! I posted on another site. Same questions and all. No response. You all have helped me so much. Thanks!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.