Fork end cap is "welded" on

4 replies to this topic
  • roostmonster

Posted October 30, 2005 - 08:09 AM

Anybody out there have an idea on how to remove a fork end cap that has seperation issues and does not want to come off? The book says 22 ft lbs of torque. There is no way they are torqued to that. I let the air out of the forks, and set the rebound and compression to their softest settings as the book says and now I am stuck. I have tried everything except a sawsall. Any help would be appreciated.

• RCannon

Posted October 30, 2005 - 11:29 AM

Did you loosen the tripleclamp...I hate to ask stuff like that, but......

You might try gently heating the outer portion of the tube. Try hot water first and increase from there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • roostmonster

Posted October 30, 2005 - 03:25 PM

I loosened the triple clamp to the point that it spun when I tried loosening the cap then tightened it snug just enough to hold it. I'm gonna give the hot water trick a shot and see what happens. Thanks for the reply...

• WR450F_RDR

Posted October 30, 2005 - 04:45 PM

The first time I pulled mine apart on my WR they were real tight, you might try a breaker bar or long pipe on your socket to get them started.

• roostmonster

Posted October 30, 2005 - 05:34 PM

Thanks for the input guys....I got it. It took 15 minutes under the hot water and a long breaker bar but I got them off. Thanks again for the ideas.

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.