clutch whats the best?

9 replies to this topic
  • superflymx

Posted October 30, 2005 - 04:17 AM

I have a 2005 XR650L.I think my clutch is slipping. I feel it some times when I am wheeling in 3TH gear at 45 to 55mph. not all the time. Well if I am going to change my clutch what is the best one can I get a stronger basket and springs or should I stay with stock. I have jetted,K&N Air Filter,Power Q 2 pipe

• Shawn_Mc

Posted October 30, 2005 - 03:01 PM

The OEM plates are the best. If the basket fingers are notched, you dont really need a new basket. Sometimes the springs can die and loose thier tension. If you can feel it slipping, youve probably got a warped plate and that will cause the clutch to slip, heat up warp the plates worse and slip worse...visious cycle...

Hit up your Honda dealer. The OEM clutchs cost more, but they are by far the best. My CR500 ate clutches for a while. Until I just replaced the whole thing with OEM stuff. Zero problems since. I went through a Barnett Kevlar clutch, an EBC and one other...dont remember what it was.

• ghoti

Posted October 31, 2005 - 05:59 AM

I have a 2005 XR650L.I think my clutch is slipping. I feel it some times when I am wheeling in 3TH gear at 45 to 55mph. not all the time. Well if I am going to change my clutch what is the best one can I get a stronger basket and springs or should I stay with stock. I have jetted,K&N Air Filter,Power Q 2 pipe

Hard to believe your clutch is slipping already. Is it still under warranty? What kind of oil are you using? Clutch slip will be more prevelant in first and second gears. Make sure you let the clutch lever all the way out and that there is some freeplay in it.

• ztsd

Posted November 06, 2005 - 09:47 PM

Pig Pen Clutch Fix :banghead:

• TREADMARKS

Posted November 07, 2005 - 04:00 AM

Pig Pen Clutch Fix :banghead:

Does this fix apply to the XRL? I thought this was only for the BRP :banghead:

My XR650L began slippin just a little at high speeds after the cam install. :lol:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • goblin127

Posted November 07, 2005 - 04:17 AM

I would think you would feel the clutch slip more in first or second.What did you end up going with for a cam? Im thinkin of doing one this winter.

• TREADMARKS

Posted November 07, 2005 - 04:47 AM

I would think you would feel the clutch slip more in first or second.What did you end up going with for a cam? Im thinkin of doing one this winter.

The slipping that I feel is at redline 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th.

I went with the hotcams stage one. I have 2000 miles on it with no problems. It REALLY brings the motor to life. Big tube header and a ported air box also helped for me. :banghead:

• ztsd

Posted November 08, 2005 - 11:10 PM

Does this fix apply to the XRL? I thought this was only for the BRP :applause:

My XR650L began slippin just a little at high speeds after the cam install. :ride:

Sorry, missed the ‘L’... Don’t know...

• roadcam

Posted November 09, 2005 - 07:52 AM

this is a long-shot, but since the slipping occurred 'after' the cam change, I wonder if an excessive amount of assembly-lube got to the clutch plates ... if your present fiber plates dont show excessive wear or glazing, try washing all your plates in a good de-greasing solvent, then, soak them in oil overnight, and re-install them ... worth a shot :applause:

• TREADMARKS

Posted November 09, 2005 - 08:41 AM

this is a long-shot, but since the slipping occurred 'after' the cam change, I wonder if an excessive amount of assembly-lube got to the clutch plates ... if your present fiber plates dont show excessive wear or glazing, try washing all your plates in a good de-greasing solvent, then, soak them in oil overnight, and re-install them ... worth a shot :applause:

Good spot roadcam.

I actually already thought that was possible, but I really wanted to get the components to beef up the clutch and change them out before the 680 and head work goes in later this year. The asseembly lube that I used on the cam, is the same that I use in the primary for my HD. I was hoping the mod mentioned in a previous post applied to the "L". I would like heavy duty, but not so stiff that it becomes uncomfortable to drive in traffic. Right now the clutch lever is very light, much lighter than my HD.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.