radiator fan

16 replies to this topic
  • 5valve

Posted October 29, 2005 - 11:08 PM

hello

Im into mounting a fan on the radiator and if someone already did this, I only wonder of the best location to attach it
since all single fan bikes use it on the left raditator, this probably means its the hotter of the two
so the upper, middle or the lower end of it?
mostly I ve seen bikes in the middle and lower position

is there any aftermarkt or oem kit wich would represent the best mount location?

thnx

• Brettv

Posted October 30, 2005 - 12:40 AM

not too sure about location, but ive heard dc computer fans will work, ill be doing this mod soon i think, cause i have unabiker rad guards, theres really only space left in the middle to mount it, so ill prob put it there.
let us know how you go
cheers - Brett

• blooozboy

Posted October 30, 2005 - 01:30 AM

KTM do a kit but is is expensive,There was a rad converted on EBAY UK dont know if it is still there

• 5valve

Posted October 30, 2005 - 04:46 AM

Im into using a computer 12vdc fan
made housing fo it and dressed it in antivibro bicycle inner tube
I too found some info on TT, guys use it with no problems, even in wetter conditions
Ill probably make it easy detachable, because pressure cleaner is probably no friend of delicate electric innards

since I dont have battery (wr400), ill attach it to the wires of removed horn and controll it through horn button

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted October 30, 2005 - 05:07 AM

Check out this thread where I talk about my fan:

http://www.thumperta...1&highlight=fan

One thing that's puzzling me- you say you don't have a battery. Is your lighting circuit rectified? The 12v DC fan won't work on AC.

• Brettv

Posted October 30, 2005 - 05:20 AM

yeah was just thinking that the 400s run on straight AC
im thinking of trying to find a fan that runs off 12v AC
or better yet getting a rectifier happening

• Brettv

Posted October 30, 2005 - 05:23 AM

just read your old thread rich, im interested in how you implemeted the battery into your 400. can you shed some light on what you did?
cheers - Brett

• ddialogue

Posted October 30, 2005 - 07:34 AM

Check out this thread where I talk about my fan:

http://www.thumperta...1&highlight=fan

One thing that's puzzling me- you say you don't have a battery. Is your lighting circuit rectified? The 12v DC fan won't work on AC.

Rich, you got any photos of your fan installation?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rich_in_Orlando

Posted October 30, 2005 - 12:18 PM

Brett, go to my dual sport kit page here: http://www.farplaces.com/dual.htm

Check out the wiring diagrams section. This should explain a lot. The page is a work in progress but you should be able to glean something from it.

Dave, I don't have any fan photos but all I did was safety wire the fan in behind the Devol radiator guard in front of the radiator. So far, it's holding up very well.

• 5valve

Posted October 31, 2005 - 10:59 AM

I just managed to connect the fan, first to the battery charger to check functionality and than to the ex-horn wires on the bike and it worked normal when I pressed the horn button
engine, naturally, has to run
fan is 12V DC without a doubt

ADD:
------------------------------------------------------
afer installing home made rad guards and completing installation to the bike, I noticed, that left rad is useless for fan mount, since it has a water tube fitted on top middle and is lined towards the cylinder, so no place for fan can be obtained.
However, I should probaby manage to squeeze it somewhere behind the right one.

I think KTM's have coolant cap on the left rad and probably that means its the hotter one, so since yama has it on the right, it should be just fine for the fan.

• Jim_bo

Posted October 31, 2005 - 12:27 PM

I am eagerly watching this thread for someone to show that they have successfully installed a fan and details/pics on how they did it.

Jimbo

• 5valve

Posted November 01, 2005 - 12:44 PM

well, thats how it will look like
not yet fixed in the pic, currently zip tied, connected and tested

• Hamish

Posted November 01, 2005 - 01:14 PM

when I installed my GPS on my Wr426, I simply used a cheap bridge rectifier to get 12vdc. The AC is regulated already, so u just need to rectify it. The bottom of the top tripple clamp works as a good heatsink.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted November 06, 2005 - 04:37 PM

Here's a brief write-up on my radiator fan installation.

• 5valve

Posted November 07, 2005 - 07:53 AM

I can see, there was no need for a rectifier, same for me
just plug the DC fan to any constant source and it'll work

i did notice though, that original bike fan rotates faster

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted November 07, 2005 - 08:32 AM

5valve, if you are replying to my post, I do have a rectifier on my bike. The fan is a DC fan. The power is taken from the battery.

• 5valve

Posted November 07, 2005 - 10:41 AM

ah, OK, have read again few previous post
not sure why DC fan is working when connected to the horn wires on my 400 without using AC DC converter

I know tham my previous bike had DC current (ktm supercomp) but the blue one? no info on that in the book, should get it measured with a multimeter

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.