Hard starting problems

5 replies to this topic
  • buffaman

Posted August 22, 2001 - 04:37 PM

If you are having alot of problems starting your thumper you might want to look into purchasing a Quicksilver Carb .They are made in San Jacinto Ca. by Edelbrock. I have one on my XR-400 and it works great, no jetting required and the way they are designed when and if you fall the hard start problem is not a problem. I just purchashed a 01 WR426 and if the stories are ture about this bike I will buy another Quicksilver carb..If you

are interested in info about the carb

just e-mail and i will give it to you.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted August 22, 2001 - 06:02 PM

I guess this exemplifies the idea that if you throw enough money at a problem it will (might) go away.

• Dannajoe

Posted August 23, 2001 - 05:12 AM

I purchased a quicksilver for my xr400,very nice carb,starting was easyer you just have to get used to the procedure. Idle was smoother, but I think it lost a little top end but gained mid hit. Lost the hesitation in the whoops. They now make a pumper unit that will upgrade existing quicksilvers. I did not realize they make one for the WR? I would be curious to here the inputs. I dont think I personnaly would put one on my WR, the stock is a great unit,when maintained and jetted correctly!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gobbler801

Posted August 23, 2001 - 05:24 AM

If you follow the starting procedures, the WR is easy to start. I do not have problems. Even after a stall or crash, it is not that hard to start. The carb on the WR is a good carb. If you are having starting problems, are you sure you are following the starting procedure correctly? Have you done any mods that have effected the starting?

• catchdirt

Posted August 23, 2001 - 06:27 PM

You are right when you say the stock carb is a good one,the bike in general is hard to beat. but maybe Edelbrock knows somthing we dont about this. Maybe we should ask for a shootout. some riders look for every edge they can get.

Originally posted by Dannajoe:
I purchased a quicksilver for my xr400,very nice carb,starting was easyer you just have to get used to the procedure. Idle was smoother, but I think it lost a little top end but gained mid hit. Lost the hesitation in the whoops. They now make a pumper unit that will upgrade existing quicksilvers. I did not realize they make one for the WR? I would be curious to here the inputs. I dont think I personnaly would put one on my WR, the stock is a great unit,when maintained and jetted correctly!

• catchdirt

Posted August 23, 2001 - 06:33 PM

Originally posted by catchdirt:
You are right when you say the stock carb is a good one,the bike in general is hard to beat. but maybe Edelbrock knows somthing we dont about this. Maybe we should ask for a shootout. some riders look for every edge they can get. That is a feature i like about the edelbrock you dont have to deal with jets and all that non sense, My XR400 has the pump and that might help your non pumper upstairs do to the fact you will be capable of running you carburetor leaner now that you have a pump for throttle response.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.