throttle too touchy on my 05 450EXC

16 replies to this topic
  • AXX

Posted October 29, 2005 - 11:52 AM

What's up w this and is there any adjustment? Many times when i go for my front brake I catch a little throttle. Have moved brake lever to remedy but no luck. I found no adj at the throttle assembly. Hoping others found this prob as well and found it fixable. thanks

• 757holeshot

Posted October 29, 2005 - 12:59 PM

there is a throtle cam system avalable with interchanable cams for differant riders and conditions etc here it is

G2 Throttle Cam System

This system alters the ratio between hand-throttle rotation to give the rider more throttle control and better stability in diverse conditions. Kit includes a precisely machined aluminum throttle tube, and different cams for the different conditions you may encounter. Tube features a pop-out end for use with handguards. Kits include 3 different cams. 65 kit includes cable wheel.

• SureBlue

Posted October 29, 2005 - 01:15 PM

Give the cables more slack, adj. srews are down at the carb end, remember to adjust them both evenly. That's the cure.

• Yamabro

Posted October 29, 2005 - 02:29 PM

I am trying to decide how to address this same issue on my '06' 525exc. To me it seems that the throttle return spring is too weak making for too much muscle control to keep the power steady.

In short, it turns too easy........Would a heavier spring help us both?

• thumpin-rn

Posted October 30, 2005 - 07:41 AM

Sure Blue has the right idea. A little play in the cables will help. A heavier spring would lead to fatigue and actually aggravate the problem. One of the reasons that KTMs are so popular is that they are NOT known to be touchy. If fact, most riders find them to be mellow with smooth, linear, managable power. Heck, I lost my 05 450EXC to my wife because she loves how smooth and predictable it is. She "made" me buy an 06 525. I don't know why I put up with her. :banghead:

• Chas_M

Posted October 30, 2005 - 08:55 AM

A friend of mine actually did add a supplementary spring to slightly increase the force required to open the throttle. He claims that it has helped the "touchy throttle syndrome" in his 450 EXC. I have never noticed this "problem" in my 525 EXC. :banghead:

• Yamabro

Posted October 30, 2005 - 09:06 AM

Not so sure I agree 'Thumpin'. I've owned a modified WR 426, and a KTM 550 MXC......

Used to power and snap!

My 525 just seems too sensitive to even the slightest twist of the throttle causing me to really focus on modulation rather than relax my right hand. This creates cramping only in that hand. Finding that I hold on to the bike with my left hand (and knees) and only focus the right on throttle control! Rode my Bros WR last weekend and the problem went away. The throttle was much stiffer and took way less muscle control. The cable free play was about the same......

• SureBlue

Posted October 30, 2005 - 09:41 AM

Gotta admit I felt the throttle a bit too sensitive on my '03 525 after yamis, but sure, the power is smooth an nice on KTM's. A bit heavier spring may be worth trying. :banghead:

• thumpin-rn

Posted October 31, 2005 - 07:49 AM

I've owned KTM thumpers for the past 5 years and I can safely say that I have never found them to be touchy. Quite the contrary. I have done my best to make them more snappy. The main reason I am willing to give up my 450 is that I was very dissapointed in the power delivery. I tried everything from JD jeting to gearing to a lighter flywheel but it still left me wanting at times. Currently I own an 05 450exc and a 06 525exc. I have owned (2) 02 400excs, an 02 520exc and my brother has an 05 exc. I also owned a 426 Yammi. Now that was touchy. The overwhelming number of guys I ride with are KTM riders as well. I can honestly say that the word touchy has never been mentioned in our group. Except by the 250exc smoker rider. My 93 ProCircuit CR500 now THAT bike was touchy. Fun, but touchy. I will say that the KTM thumpers respond well to short shifting and can be ridden way down in the RPM range.
That is why I like the 525 so much. You can loft the front wheel over rocks and logs with ease at any RPM.
I will add that the bulk of our riding is done between 6000' and 12,000' so that may have a little to do with our perceptions.

• AXX

Posted October 31, 2005 - 01:27 PM

In response to thumpin rn's comment, I think you misunderstood the question. I am not looking to make the bike more snappy, although I weigh 210 and ride in northwest Colorado the bike has plenty of snap. My problem is with either the throttle spring or cable tension. When riding tech downhill sections (rocky steep singletrack) I will sometimes catch a little throttle when going for the front brake, which is the last thing you want to happen. I just wanted to know wether a new throttle spring or an adjustment in the cable tensionwould work better for those of us who have experienced this issue, but thanks for letting us know about all the rad mods you have done to your bike. You must be proud!

• thumpin-rn

Posted October 31, 2005 - 04:15 PM

Axx. That is why my initial response was that Sure Blue had the right idea. My wife's 400 had too little play in the cables and every little movement of her hand was translated into a different carb opening. Adjusted the freeplay and problem solved. I live in Steamboat and most likely ride all the same trails as you and I can't recall any problems. We also do a lot of riding in Moab and Az. on tight rocky sections. The Ktm thumpers are awesome and I hope you are able to get it sorted out.

• Yamabro

Posted October 31, 2005 - 05:53 PM

AXX:

You and I are on the same page here. I'm not saying that the snap of the KTM 525 is overwhelming at all. My YZ timed WR426 with the White Bros pipe accelerated quicker (but with less torque) than my 525. I've added an HT Racing pipe, JD jetting and a boysen Quick shot to the carb........still my 426 was faster :banghead:

My issue is that the throttle is too easy to turn (at inopportune times) on the 2006 525. I need more spring tension so I can move and muscle the bike when necessary without an additional 1/8th to 1/4 turn of the gas. My brothers WR400 (and my 426) is twice as hard to turn making throttle modulation a winner in my book.

Can the spring tension be adjusted to add more turning resistance?

• AXX

Posted October 31, 2005 - 07:47 PM

That's funny as I live in Steamboat as well. I purchased my bike in July from MSC , and after just one ride I let the fellas at the shop know about this issue. They seemed to think it was me, but now I know others are having the same prob. I will start with the cable adjustment and go from there. Other than that I love this bike. I am always looking for new people to ride with so lets get together. Seasons pretty much over here, but a friend and myself are planning to head to Moab before too long w the popup and rides. Hope to hear from you. Axx

• SureBlue

Posted October 31, 2005 - 11:20 PM

I've owned KTM thumpers for the past 5 years and I can safely say that I have never found them to be touchy. Quite the contrary. I have done my best to make them more snappy. The main reason I am willing to give up my 450 is that I was very dissapointed in the power delivery. I tried everything from JD jeting to gearing to a lighter flywheel but it still left me wanting at times. Currently I own an 05 450exc and a 06 525exc. I have owned (2) 02 400excs, an 02 520exc and my brother has an 05 exc. I also owned a 426 Yammi. Now that was touchy. The overwhelming number of guys I ride with are KTM riders as well. I can honestly say that the word touchy has never been mentioned in our group. Except by the 250exc smoker rider. My 93 ProCircuit CR500 now THAT bike was touchy. Fun, but touchy. I will say that the KTM thumpers respond well to short shifting and can be ridden way down in the RPM range.
That is why I like the 525 so much. You can loft the front wheel over rocks and logs with ease at any RPM.
I will add that the bulk of our riding is done between 6000' and 12,000' so that may have a little to do with our perceptions.

You misunderstood me. I dont find the 525 too snappy or sensitive. I found the throttle too loose to turn if you can say so. Precisely like Yamabro says here

AXX:

You and I are on the same page here. I'm not saying that the snap of the KTM 525 is overwhelming at all. My YZ timed WR426 with the White Bros pipe accelerated quicker (but with less torque) than my 525. I've added an HT Racing pipe, JD jetting and a boysen Quick shot to the carb........still my 426 was faster :banghead:

My issue is that the throttle is too easy to turn (at inopportune times) on the 2006 525. I need more spring tension so I can move and muscle the bike when necessary without an additional 1/8th to 1/4 turn of the gas. My brothers WR400 (and my 426) is twice as hard to turn making throttle modulation a winner in my book.

Can the spring tension be adjusted to add more turning resistance?

• Durango_Dave

Posted November 01, 2005 - 12:58 PM

When I first got my bike I jetted it properly and had it tuned with a hair trigger throttle. After a wild ride thru the trees where my bike decided to try to climb a tree that stopped all forward progress, I simply backed off the pull side of the throttle cable housing something like two turns to put a little slack in the cable. As others have said, that small adjustment has made a world of difference *to me*. I was lucky that I wasn't seriously hurt in that exciting episode! :banghead:

• MotoChris521

Posted November 02, 2005 - 06:32 AM

Thanks for the tip.I'm going to give my cables a little more slack,and re-try those nasty goat trails !

• Yamabro

Posted November 02, 2005 - 05:05 PM

Me too. Thanks everyone! :banghead:

Related Content

Reviews

KTM 500 XC-W 2014 by KTM500Beast

KTM 500 XC-W 2014
  • * * * * -
  • 2 reviews
  • Last review by slipstick
  • On July 30, 2014
Forums
Photo

KTM 350 4 STROKE intended audience? by dun3r87

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • 21 replies
Reviews

KTM 350 EXC-F 2015 by Bryan Bosch

KTM 350 EXC-F 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

KTM 450 EXC 2006 by FoxRocks

KTM 450 EXC 2006
  • 1 review
  • Last review by XFBO
  • On Yesterday, 03:58 PM
Forums
Photo

02 520 sx for $1400 by Bazuka Joe

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  346 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.