stalling probs

10 replies to this topic
  • brianj

Posted October 29, 2005 - 10:21 AM

sorry I'm new here and I'm sure this is going to be a dumb q but I just bought a 01 426 and its having a problem accelerating off idle. I just put in a new plug and air filter to cure this but no luck still bogging and dieing I have to start off with the choke on the shut it off when I get going. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance. :banghead:

• rwick55

Posted October 30, 2005 - 06:51 AM

i FELL YOUR PAIN... I bought the same bike earlier this week ( 01 426).
How is yours to start?? Mine is a bear thou I am changing out the plug this afternoon to hopefully correct the problem. Check your jetting .. These bikes are very unique.. saying that this is my first thumper. I have had nothing but two strokes in the past... keep the faith..

• TonyDeCoster

Posted October 30, 2005 - 08:10 AM

Check this site for the "BK" mod. You'll need to perform this to adjust your accelerator pump circuit properly. Also, start by pulling the carb off and giving it a thourough cleaning/inspection. The AC pump diaphragms like to deteriorate if race gas has been sitting in the carb. Jetting should be set to proper specs for your altitude per the owner's manual. Jetting in Illinois for my '01 was stock and it worked great...

• KillerMedic

Posted October 30, 2005 - 08:42 PM

If the carb is clean and the accelerator pump diaphragm is good, it could be your jetting. The bike was probably jetted for the summer heat and you are probably getting cooler weather now like we are. I am close to going one higher on my pilot jet and raising my needle one groove since it is getting cool enough here in GA that my bike won't start first kick cold any more. Good luck!

• Hick

Posted October 31, 2005 - 12:51 AM

If the carb is clean and the accelerator pump diaphragm is good, it could be your jetting. The bike was probably jetted for the summer heat and you are probably getting cooler weather now like we are.

Stock jetting would be too rich the hottest day of the year in most of Colorado.

I'll second the recommendation of the BK mod, but anything around 4,000 ft or so and the 426 is going to be rich everywhere, of course this is most noticeable just off idle.

Check the jetting that is in there, then do a search here for stock spec.s and recommendations for your altitude and change accordingly (lots of 426 posters from the Denver area have come through here, I rode my 426s in NM but also at high elevation). And do the BK mod.

Once you get the carb dialed your throttle response should be crisp everywhere. It is well worth the effort.

Hope this helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KillerMedic

Posted October 31, 2005 - 07:20 AM

Yeah Hick, that is true for the stock jetting being rich for high altitude. I guess I was assuming that the bike was bought local and already re-jetted for the area. And the fact that the choke is necessary to get going was cluing me in on being lean rather than rich since the choke opens a fuel circuit to richen the bike for cold starting. If it was already rich enough to cause it to "bog and die" I would think that the choke would cause it to not even start.

• Fastest1

Posted October 31, 2005 - 03:44 PM

Dirty carb, take it off and clean it. Most likely the pilot jet is plugged. Also on these bikes always turn off the fuel at the petcock while it is still running and let it run out of fuel. You will never have to change a plug again if you do that 1 thing. BK mod is a great fix if bog is the problem.

• brianj

Posted November 03, 2005 - 01:33 AM

Dirty carb, take it off and clean it. Most likely the pilot jet is plugged. Also on these bikes always turn off the fuel at the petcock while it is still running and let it run out of fuel. You will never have to change a plug again if you do that 1 thing. BK mod is a great fix if bog is the problem.

I called the local dealer (vickery motorsports) they right away suggested the pilot jet was plugged and that it would cost 112.00 to repair I will be bringing it in to have that cleaned and looked over I'll let you guys know thanks.

• Hick

Posted November 03, 2005 - 02:07 AM

I called the local dealer (vickery motorsports) they right away suggested the pilot jet was plugged and that it would cost 112.00 to repair I will be bringing it in to have that cleaned and looked over I'll let you guys know thanks.

Pilot jet was plugged?

$112 to clean the pilot jet??

Dude, if the pilot jet were clogged, the bike would not run.

Well, maybe it would run w/ the choke...

If you knew how simple it was to check your pilot jet you would be incensed that anybody would charge you that much to check this.

• Jetsprint2

Posted November 03, 2005 - 07:48 AM

$112.00 to clean a plugged jet? If I were you I would learn how to fix it myself. It is not that hard once you get the hang of it. :banghead:

• KillerMedic

Posted November 03, 2005 - 08:02 AM

Hey brianj, if you want to save some cash, either check your manual on how to get to your pilot jet or we can work you through it. It is very easy to get to, you do not even need to take the carb off of the bike. I can get my pilot jet out in like five minutes.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.