Break in tips

6 replies to this topic
  • rocksnsand

Posted October 29, 2005 - 07:31 AM

I got the manual with my 06 just curious if anybody has some other breakin ideas.One of my buddies says to break it in like your going to ride it.That left me scratching my head .

• clark4131

Posted October 29, 2005 - 07:56 AM

If you haven't dumped the factory oil, do it now! Replace it with a completely non-synthetic oil. Then read this. I've followed this method for quite a while with great results...SC

• squirrel1

Posted October 29, 2005 - 08:23 AM

I have used the hard and the easy break in method on my 250 and I didn't notice a single difference between the two. Do what the manual recommends and you will be safe.

The issue with the rings not seating properly if you don't run it hard is idiotic. If the rings don't seat perfectly inside the cylinder then it wont matter how you break it in.

If you were to take a ring, put it inside your cylinder, and hold it up to light and you see any space between the ring (piston ring seal) and your cylinder then the ring needs to be gently sanded until the gap is gone.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • moach1

Posted October 29, 2005 - 09:51 AM

run a tank through it not running too hard. change oil and let the beast go!

• rocksnsand

Posted October 29, 2005 - 09:56 PM

Thanks for the tips Im headed out in the morning to break her in.I figure about a hour doing hot laps should do it

• SirHilton17

Posted October 30, 2005 - 04:24 PM

"The issue with the rings not seating properly if you don't run it hard is idiotic. If the rings don't seat perfectly inside the cylinder then it wont matter how you break it in."
Finaly someone that has some sence!!!!!!!!!!
That mototune guy is damn funny i laugh my ass off every time i read his stuff... he is full of crap.... and in other articles of his he completly goes against the hard breakin meathod with out even noticing it...

some who breaks a bike in hard and is proud of it is damn stupid and has NO mechanical knowlade.. or is rich as hell and just plain doesnt care....

• a1scoot

Posted October 30, 2005 - 04:39 PM

For general break in I usually run about 15 mins bringing the rpm up
and down through the entire range. (dont wring its neck yet)
A couple sessions of this and your good to go.
after 100 miles ,change the oil and your set.
a1scoot :banghead:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.