Suspension Setup help

2 replies to this topic
  • ArmyGuy

Posted October 29, 2005 - 06:41 AM

I almost posted this in the suspension forum but I was afraid I'd get a generic response. My question is, I bought a 99 YZ400 and the suspension is great, mostly. I think the rebound is set too fast and the dampening a little light. How can I adjust these? there are 3 screws on each fork leg, one on top in the center, on on top offest to the front and one on the bottom, I did a little searching and found nothing that satisfied me in either this or the suspension forums. Any help is appreciated

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ripntear

Posted October 29, 2005 - 07:12 AM

The one in the center and top of the fork cap is the rebound. The one that is offset next to the rebound adjuster is the air bleed screw. The bottom fork adjuster is the compression.

To simplify the terminology, screwing the adjusters in or clockwise, will make that particular function slower to perform. Screwing them out or counter clockwise will speed that function up.

An example would be, if you screw the rebound screw in, it will slow the rebound down. Screw it out and it speeds it up. Same goes with compression.

The air bleed screw should be unscrewed after each ride to let any air build up escape from the fork tube. You don't have to remove it, just unscrew it and listen for the air escaping then re tighten.

• SureBlue

Posted October 29, 2005 - 08:05 AM

When bleeding the air, keep the bike on stand with the front wheel off the ground.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.