Handle Bars ?????

9 replies to this topic
  • WRFUN

Posted August 22, 2001 - 03:36 PM

I'm 6'3" 220lbs and need more room. My knees hit the H-Bars when cornering. Any recommendations on bars, top clamp, or both. Thanks for your help. ( Love this bike )

99 WR400
lid off
uncorked stock pipe
restricter screw cut

• Bill

Posted August 22, 2001 - 04:24 PM

Here's a couple of suggestions. For bars,the Renthal Jimmy Button highs are the popular choice and for a cheap TC alternative. Find a used TC from a 2000 or later bike. The bar mounts have been moved 10mms forward.

Bill

------------------
99 WR400f, YZ timed, MX-Tech suspension, Scotts steering damper, White Bros E-Series (12 discs), tapered header and a/f. Kouba T-handle for the fuel screw. Works Connection billet throttle tube and frame guards. Cycra Pro-Bend, triple clamp mount handguards. Thumper Racing rad guards, Renthal Jimmy Button highs, YZ Tank and IMS seat, YZ number plate, odo removed, EKP #4, 50PJ, 175MJ at 500-1000' Thanks James Dean!

• WRFUN

Posted August 22, 2001 - 04:43 PM

Thanks Bill, I see you have alot of mods done to your bike. Any suggestions on what would be the next best for me (performance).

Thanks,

Pete

• Bill

Posted August 23, 2001 - 04:30 AM

WR,

I would go to YZ timing and the jetting (if your below 3000') I have listed. While doing this, you probably want to find a used YZ pipe. I wouldn't spend the money on an aftermarket pipe, unitl they build a quieter pipe. YZ pipes can be found for around $100 or you might be able to trade a YZ guy looking to quiet his bike down. I'll assume since your bike is a 99, that someone has already upgraded the air filter??

For other mods, here are my thoughts:

Tires- 739's suck, Dunlop 755 or 756

Damper- great for reducing deflection, awesome in the woods and great on the track. Also reduces rider fatuige.

YZ Style seat and tank- big improvement in the corners, allows you to better weight the front end by moving further forward

Thumper or Flat Land rad guards- heaviest duty made, a lot cheaper then radiator repair

YZ Style- If you don't ride at night or need to keep track of miles. You can save a lot of weight by going to a YZ front number plate (you'll have to buy the YZ axle spacer and seal, also make a little bracket to mount the plate) Lighter rear fender.

Triple clamp mount handguards- keeps me safe when I bonk a tree :D, saves levers, strengthens/protects my Renthals and keeps roost and mud off.

MX-Tech suspenders- Bikes is plusher, yet handles big jumps better. The forks have a much more linear travel and when I come up short on a double :) the bike is much more forgiving. AWESOME customer service.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 08-23-2001).]

• WRFUN

Posted August 24, 2001 - 04:09 PM

Bill, took your advise and ordered the Jimmy Buttons. Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!

Pete

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • freestyle111

Posted August 24, 2001 - 07:49 PM

go all the way berg tripleclamp with some renthal twinwall[cr hi bend]

• YAMAKAZE

Posted August 26, 2001 - 12:33 PM

I bought the new Renthal Fat Bars $89. and a set of universal adapters $44. this weekend...up 1 inch on the mount and 3 inches on the bend...Man what a difference. :) I was going to buy the buttons but opted for the double wall hoping that this will be the last pair fo a while...Man what an open cockpit. :D

Bonzai... :D

• WRFUN

Posted August 27, 2001 - 11:42 AM

Yamakaze,

Thanks for your input, I will keep this in mind if the Buttons don't seem for me. Have fun on the trails !!!!

Thanks,

Pete

• Tim_Heslip

Posted August 27, 2001 - 04:32 PM

Pete,
Where did you get he Button Bars? Local or internet? What is the cost? I may be in the market for bars soon. Thanks.

Tim Heslip

• WRFUN

Posted August 28, 2001 - 09:22 PM

Tim,

Chaparral has them in stock. Should get them this week, can't wait.

Later,

Pete

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.