wr426 fork oil seals

3 replies to this topic
  • mickey9

Posted October 29, 2005 - 12:48 AM

is changing the fork seals a difficult job,i havn`t worked on a bike for 20 years so i`m not sure about the new technology any advice would be great i`m in newport south wales uk

• dustdogg

Posted October 29, 2005 - 10:51 AM

I have the same question. The seals on my 02 just started to leak and I am thinking about trying to do it myself. I have already pulled the dust seal and used a film negative to clean the crap out but they are still leaking. I have done a search on this topic and have found that I can make a fork seal driver out of 2" or 2 1/2" PVC. Hopefully others will chime in with their ideas on how to do this without paying a shop.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • blooozboy

Posted October 29, 2005 - 11:38 AM

OK here we go It is a reasonadly easy job with the right tools.In the adsense of these you need to do the following: After stripping legs and removing old seals which is just nuts and bolts you need to put new seals on legs this is where the problem is they tend to want to turn the lip inside out as they go over the recess in the stantion for the collar If you wrap a layer of insulating tape around this collar to eliminate the step it is easier then give the leg and seal a good oiling with fork oil and it should slip over.
When you replace stantion in the upper leg slide seal up to the recess and tap in carefully with a BLUNT punch working all the way round gradually again using lavish amounts of fork oil. The ideal way is the proper tools but they are not cheap or easy to get.Hope this helps

• mickey9

Posted October 30, 2005 - 11:01 AM

well that sounds easy enough i`ll give it a go thanks for the tips. :banghead:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.