List of problems

17 replies to this topic
  • Kermit22

Posted October 28, 2005 - 01:51 PM

Just wanted to know what problems you guys have had with the yzf 450's.

• grayracer513

Posted October 28, 2005 - 02:04 PM

It took me a while to figure out exactly how to get it lit up again when it stalls hot, and once I almost ran out of gas. That, and I can't afford an '06.

• biznet1

Posted October 28, 2005 - 02:18 PM

Those YZF 450s are the most reliable mx bikes you will ever own. They just keep going, and going, and.... well, you know. I love my CRF and the way it handles, but I ride with my fingers crossed.

• SureBlue

Posted October 28, 2005 - 02:50 PM

My 426 had none.
The 450 had occasionally a sticky shifter, that was an early ´04 problem with a too tight drive axle seal/collar, it got fixed by itself though and actually only bothered when the bike was really dirty.

• Satch0922

Posted October 28, 2005 - 04:44 PM

Those YZF 450s are the most reliable mx bikes you will ever own. They just keep going, and going, and.... well, you know. I love my CRF and the way it handles, but I ride with my fingers crossed.

Biznet...your the man. Very rare these days to read an honest post on the net!
:banghead:

• BergArabia

Posted October 28, 2005 - 05:30 PM

Problems:

I have to clean it every time I ride it and sometimes the sand gets in the tricky little places that is a pain..

I have to clean the air filter all the time too. That is not too bad but sometimes there is sand and dust in the bottom of the airbox that is kind of a pain too.

The oil and oil filter change is actually quite easy so that is not a problem. Good Oil here is kind of expensive though.

The bike is tall.. and I am short. (Can't reach the ground without leaning)

Sometimes I mess up the starting routine and it takes 5 or 6 kicks to get it going..

The OEM decals have bubbled a bit and tend to get scratched up.

The plastics have also got scratched up a bit..

I have no lights and a desert tire so I have to haul it everywhere.
Got problems with my trailer last week and spent a whole day fixing the hitch and replacing 2 tires (they are a wierd size and hard to find)..

Other than that nothing so far..

• Kermit22

Posted October 28, 2005 - 06:28 PM

But nothing major like an oil pump failure or lower gear for timing chain wearing out?

• biznet1

Posted October 28, 2005 - 06:50 PM

Biznet...your the man. Very rare these days to read an honest post on the net!
:banghead:

:banghead: Thanks. I try to calls'm likes I sees'm. It's just an undeniable truth.

• NAFLASH

Posted October 28, 2005 - 07:01 PM

But nothing major like an oil pump failure or lower gear for timing chain wearing out?

nope, just change the oil "often" and your good.
:banghead: :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 28, 2005 - 07:04 PM

The crank gear shouldn't wear much if you keep clean oil in it and change the chain every 12 to 18 months.

• mcgvr86

Posted October 28, 2005 - 07:16 PM

I have an 03 yz450 and it has been bullet proof. I have a ton of hours on this bike. I put a piston and timing chain in early this year and I could have skipped it, both pieces were like new. :banghead:

I put alot of aftermarket stuff on it, but I can honestly say "I have never had a stock part fail" :lol:

If it wasnt for the handling issues and the hope that the 06 will decimate all its 450 competition, I would keep it until ??? But now that the season is over.... its time to disassemble, repaint, clean, grease, reassemble and get ready to sell. Cant wait for the 06 reviews to come in.!!! :banghead:

• joe346cbmx

Posted October 28, 2005 - 08:38 PM

Hey Look At That Avatar, That Guy Corners Like R.c. Dude Can You Teach Me How To Do That. Hey Dy, What's Up. Jp

• Kermit22

Posted October 28, 2005 - 10:06 PM

Well i noticed someone just posted a timing question and the reason for this thread was that i just pulled my head and cylinder, etc to check everything out and noticed that my lower gear for timing chain looked kinda rough....teeth were all there but you could see the indentions from the teeth on the chain.Also like the other thread was saying...when i was lined up on the marks for top dead center my punchmarks on the cam were not in line with the head..both were about a tooth off...didn't know if it came like that or if chain might have slipped once.

• Ga426owner

Posted October 29, 2005 - 09:28 AM

Honda like valve problems..........NO
RMZ like ACCT/Cam Chain problems.................NO

most reliable history of all 450 4Strokes since 1998.....YES

But it all depends on how you maintain your bike......

• muddza

Posted October 30, 2005 - 02:17 AM

1...... Sore ARMS!!!!
2...... Keeping the front wheel on the ground
3...... All your mates wanting to test ride it
4...... The girlfriends jealousy cause you spend more time with the bike
5...... The withdrawels/sleepless nights
6...... Sore ARMS and massage bills
7...... Wanting more power (even though you got plenty)
8...... The neighbours irate phone calls because of the noise
9...... Having to dress my track after every ride cause of the trenches it creates
10.... Wanting the '06' like grayracer but not being able to afford (just yet)

Seriously but - change your oil and filters plenty and you'll be riding for long time

• bigc

Posted October 30, 2005 - 05:10 PM

got an 03,first one lasted 45 minutes and shot a bolt out the engine.factory defect.got a new one has been awesome,riding it for two years it now needs a clutch and will put a piston cam chain in this winter just for precaution.possibly the most reliable mx bike i have owned.

• JSJ17

Posted October 31, 2005 - 06:43 PM

I have an '03 YZ450 that I bought brand new. The first six months it was awesome, then it burned the intake valves and scratched up the cylinder ($1200 to fix that one). I am absolutely ANAL about maintenance (changed the oil and cleaned the air filter exactly as the manual suggested), and the shop guys never could give me a cause for the trouble. The only thing I can think of was that it was just dumb luck and I ingested something in through the filter. :banghead:

After finally getting it back together, I put 10 more hours on it, and then the rod bearing cage let go and completely trashed the crank and the new piston that I had just put in (as I sit here I think we are up to $1500 to fix that one). Even though the shop says they had to replace two of those under warranty ('03 models only!), when I contacted Yamaha they had "no knowledge" of any failures, and they were unwilling to help me in any way.

This in NOT a flame guys, I love the YZs, I think the 450 is the best bike ever built, and I am still agonizing over whether or not to get an '06 YZ450. I think I just got a lemon, but now I am so gun shy that I am thinking about going back to two strokes.

Sorry to bring the thread down, but I had to get this off of my chest :banghead:

• muddza

Posted October 31, 2005 - 08:46 PM

I have an '03 YZ450 that I bought brand new. The first six months it was awesome, then it burned the intake valves and scratched up the cylinder ($1200 to fix that one). I am absolutely ANAL about maintenance (changed the oil and cleaned the air filter exactly as the manual suggested), and the shop guys never could give me a cause for the trouble. The only thing I can think of was that it was just dumb luck and I ingested something in through the filter. :banghead:

After finally getting it back together, I put 10 more hours on it, and then the rod bearing cage let go and completely trashed the crank and the new piston that I had just put in (as I sit here I think we are up to $1500 to fix that one). Even though the shop says they had to replace two of those under warranty ('03 models only!), when I contacted Yamaha they had "no knowledge" of any failures, and they were unwilling to help me in any way.

This in NOT a flame guys, I love the YZs, I think the 450 is the best bike ever built, and I am still agonizing over whether or not to get an '06 YZ450. I think I just got a lemon, but now I am so gun shy that I am thinking about going back to two strokes.

Sorry to bring the thread down, but I had to get this off of my chest :banghead:

That's really sad mate, can't blame you for going back to two strokes, pretty lame on Yamaha's behalf though, you would think they would have some sympathy and have given you a complete new bike....

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.