Another starter button question

5 replies to this topic
  • GlocksRock

Posted October 28, 2005 - 08:56 AM

The last ride I was on I broke my starter button. So I ordered a Tusk kill switch from rocky mountain. Maybe I got sent the wrong part or something cause the whole assembly is about a foot longer than the stock one, plus the connectors are completely different. I was thinking I would just cut the wires of the new assembly to match the length of the stock unit, then just solder it to the old connectors. But is there a positive or negative? If so I don't see a way to tell.

I don't know anything about this crap.

• RichBaker

Posted October 28, 2005 - 09:18 AM

That'll work...don't forget to shrink-sleeve the joints.

• GlocksRock

Posted October 28, 2005 - 09:24 AM

Thanks is it possible to cross the wires, or does it not matter?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RichBaker

Posted October 28, 2005 - 12:44 PM

It does not polarity to worry about, all you're doing is hooking up a momentary, normally open switch...

• Rainman_WFO

Posted October 28, 2005 - 01:10 PM

I got real tired of the stock buttons losing the little grey plastic inner portion of the button and bought a starter button assembly from a Honda CRF250X. You still have to save the old connector and solder/shrinktube the splice, but it works flawlessly and does NOT lose the little grey (or red for the kill button) inner plastic any more.

After 3 button Yamaha Button replacements, I figured it was time for a change to something that works and is not as cheaply made as the aftermarket bottons you can find. :banghead:

• GlocksRock

Posted October 28, 2005 - 01:12 PM

Hey thanks guys thats exactly the info I was looking for.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.