What damage will excessive idle do to a XR650L?

8 replies to this topic
  • Zorkie

Posted October 28, 2005 - 08:47 AM

Hello,

I am think about buying a 2002 XR650L. It only has 200 miles on it. The only problem is the owner starts it up every week and lets it sit there idling for about a half hour. He doesn't ride it. I am thinking that this could cause some serious problems down the road. Anyone know what kind of damage it will do? Should I keep looking for another bike?

• JackAttack

Posted October 28, 2005 - 08:55 AM

Those engines are bullet-proof.

He could start it up and idle it for a half-hour each week with no oil in it with little affect. :banghead:

• klmmicro

Posted October 28, 2005 - 09:19 AM

No oil idling? I know they are tough engines...but that is a bit excessive in testing "bulletproof" :banghead: J/K

Siting at idle as a break in is not going to wear everything in very effectively. When he finally gets to a point where he rides it, he will have a virgin transmission still, and the rings will probably have not set in very well.

• nate992v

Posted October 28, 2005 - 09:22 AM

As long as the oil temp stays below 300 degrees, no problems there. If he is "breaking it in" by idling, it could use excessive amounts of oil when you start riding it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shawn_Mc

Posted October 28, 2005 - 10:20 AM

Those engines are bullet-proof.

He could start it up and idle it for a half-hour each week with no oil in it with little affect. :banghead:

I wouldnt be surprised either. The load is causes things to get broken when theres no oil.

Although if he indeed simply idle the thing to break it in, it'll burn oil terminally.

With todays motor oils, you've gotta flog them to seat the ring.

• Zorkie

Posted October 28, 2005 - 04:24 PM

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking that the heat would warp the heads or something. Think I am going to pass on it anyway. $1200 more and I can get a new one with a one year warranty. He won't come off the price any more.

• goblin127

Posted October 29, 2005 - 05:58 AM

I would say the motor is fine and save the 1200. Id buy it.

• roadcam

Posted October 29, 2005 - 06:51 AM

since Goblin's gonna buy it, you'll need to go buy the new one for $1200 more .. thast the way I'd go :banghead:

• wr450fyamaha

Posted October 29, 2005 - 12:45 PM

since Goblin's gonna buy it, you'll need to go buy the new one for $1200 more .. thast the way I'd go :banghead:

yeah, never buy used unless its like 30% of the original cost or it is virtually new and over half off.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  159 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.