Recovering Seat

7 replies to this topic

Posted October 27, 2005 - 08:27 PM

Going to recover the seat on my 95 XR6. Gripper seat made by CEET (black, with red and white on the back end). Any tricks on instalation? Give me the steps you took to make your seat look like a professional did it. :banghead:

• targetdrone

Posted October 27, 2005 - 10:26 PM

I took my XR seat to my personal professional and it is perfect. He has done numerous seats for me over the years. He recommends putting the cover in the dryer for a few minutes to soften it up and make it stretch easier. If it takes you too long, you can use a hair dryer or heat gun to extend your working time. Do the front first, then the back, then work the sides back and forth to get it tight and smooth.

• Troy_Bell

Posted October 28, 2005 - 05:55 AM

targetdrone is correct. You definitely want to use heat to make it soft. If you don't, you will have wrinkles.

• Valerie Wilson

Posted October 28, 2005 - 08:37 AM

Have a blow dryer handy. Those ceet gripper seats are the easiest to get on, they are very stretchy.

Start at the front. A few staples to hold it in place. Strectch it to the back making it pretty tight. A few staples to hold it in place. Next pull the sides down around the angle part of the bottom of the seat. A few staples. Just work the rest of the seat into place. Don't be afraid to remove and replace staples to get it to sit right. Heat it when necessary to get a good stretch. Its pretty easy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • roadcam

Posted October 29, 2005 - 07:09 AM

look around the yellow pages for a small upholstery shop, very likely you can get it done professionally for a reasonable fee

• oldturtle

Posted October 29, 2005 - 07:44 AM

I think that if you already own a compressor and if you are a serious dirt rider then one of the best things you can do is to get a very good air powered staple gun and just learn to install your own seat covers. Just follow the excellent tips above and go for it. I also like to remove and then replace existing covers just to custom carve various seat foams just to get the "perfect" seat for me and family.

• ABTrailers

Posted November 09, 2005 - 05:17 PM

Hi Gang,
Okie dokey I'm tired of my butt hurting, and ready to attach that dang seat.
I intend on using the old base and foam just trim some off the top and add to the side so what density do you reccomend on the top? I was thinking an inch of the soft stuff. What about that NASA foam u know the stuff the temprepedic beds are made of? What kind of vinyl do i use to top the seat?
The local upholstery shop says he has never heard of 4 way stretch only 2 way stretch? Can I use one piece of Vinyl or will I need to set a skirt around the top piece.
Thanks all..........Alex

• Toolmaker

Posted November 10, 2005 - 04:20 AM

I took mine to a local upholstery shop and for forty bucks it looks great.

They steamed mine plus they used stainless steel staples , so I let them do it .

Related Content

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.