Fuel treatments for carbon deposits

8 replies to this topic
  • RWilson

Posted October 27, 2005 - 08:03 PM

The BRP is amazing. With 15/48 gears and knobby tires the bike still rips and gets 57 miles per gallon on the pavement. But pavement riding puts a lot of carbon on the sparkplug and obviously the whole top end. So....does anybody out there use a fuel treatment? If so what type of formula and how often, or maybe its a bad idea?

• Guest_XR EVOLUTION_*

Posted October 27, 2005 - 08:15 PM

Check this out !

The level of carbon build up in an engine can have a profound effect on engine performance and octane requirement . Lead was added to fuel as an anti-knock agent and lubricant for the upper bore , valves and seats . Tin is a better and safer anti - knock agent than lead and it works by preventing the build up of carbon by coating and lubricating the combustion chamber surfaces and valves with tin oxide . Pistons used to be coated with a tin coating to ward off carbon build up . The problem with tin is that it can't be mixed and held in suspension in the fuel for very long . You can buy fuel filter like devices (catalysts) that are placed in the fuel line just before the carburetor and rely on engine vibrations to cause tin ingots to rub against wear plates then releasing fine tin particles into the fuel so that they reach the combustion chamber where they can do their job . The tin added to the fuel allows high compression engines to operate detonation free using standard unleaded pump gas of 92 octane (AUS). Examples of these devices are called the FUELSTAR and ULTRABURN .

http://www.users.zet.../ultraburn.html

http://www.hicloneqld.com/tintech.htm

• Shawn_Mc

Posted October 28, 2005 - 10:48 AM

Try some Chevron premium. I say this because:

Back about 15 years ago, I had a ski boat. The motor blew up, bad. I went to the salvage yard and picked up an old 396 that was complete. I tore it down to freshen it up and found a nice set of forged TRW pistons big bolt rods and a couple other nice things. But I tore the heads down to do the valve seals and found what was close to a 1/4 inch of stuff on the backsides of the intakes. I took one valve and tried...tried, again, thats tried to clean it off. The stuff was like concrete. After an hour an a half of grinding on the one valve I said screw this, and just put it back together thinking it was going to get a better set of heads at the end of the summer anyway...Well, after lead footing it accross lake Havasu all summer I pulled the heads off, the valves were perfectly clean. Not sorta clean, perfectly clean. The only gas the thing got was Chevron premium with that Techron stuff in it. To put it mildly, I was absolutely amazed how clean inside everything was. And that motor wasnt all that tight...it'd belch a little blue smoke here and there...

Just my .02

• jkwithers

Posted October 28, 2005 - 10:50 AM

Try some Chevron premium. I say this because:

Just my .02

good to know you gearhead

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Liquor

Posted October 28, 2005 - 10:51 AM

Sea Foam (I know, sounds stupid), but this stuff WORKS. You can get a can of it at AutoZone. You can add it to the Gas, or soak plugs directly. I use it for my vehicles. I use it in the tank every 4000 miles, and every 20K I pour directly into the intake manifold while at idle.

• Mantrasonica

Posted October 28, 2005 - 01:56 PM

Chevron premium.

The only fuel I run in any of my equipment. I suppose I'd probably run Chevron 87 if I had a car that was rated to run on regular, but I don't. I'll pay the few extra pennies for good fuel.

I'm not surprised it cleaned the valves in your boat. When I tore down the engine for my el camino, even after 30+ years of service and over 200K on the clock the valves/pistons were pretty much spotless.

About the best pump gas out there as far as I'm concerned.

• captb

Posted October 28, 2005 - 05:58 PM

I run Chevron Premium or Shell V Power in my bikes both have additives to clean combustion chambers, Sea Foam and Techron additives both work well but some recomend doing just before changing your oil.

• bork

Posted October 29, 2005 - 04:05 AM

ditto on chevron , I've heard from others too. No presonal experiance yet.

• qadsan

Posted October 29, 2005 - 05:01 PM

You can simply buy Techron from your autoparts store if you're looking for a good fuel cleaner that you can buy locally, which is what's in Chevron's fuel. I've used Stabil for over a dozen years as a fuel stabilizer for various equipment, but I've switched to FP60 last year and I'm happy with the product. FP60 is a completely safe and lubricous fuel additive & stabilizer that doesn't increase elemental wear as some of the more agressive fuel additives do. It's also less expensive than some additives @ $33 / gallon (dose = 1oz / 5 gallons).

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.