WR 450r

20 replies to this topic
  • Woody Racing

Posted October 27, 2005 - 07:05 PM

I was just wondering for those who own the bike. How do you like it? Has it had any major problems (realabilty) and how does it compare to the crf450x in your opinion?

Thanks
-Matt

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 27, 2005 - 07:18 PM

I've owned two and will likely buy a third :banghead:

I see your in WA, I got a 400 for sale.............

I have only heard that the CRF(x) is maintenance intensive regarding the motor. The WR's only need the free mods initially and then it's oil changes and occasional valve adjustments from there on out :banghead:

• JTWR450

Posted October 28, 2005 - 01:19 PM

Coming from an XR 400 I was wantring a bike that needed as little wrench time as possible, like the trust XR. The WR is just that. I have now put 1500+ miles on my 04 with nothing but free mods, done by my dealer, oil changes every 200 miles using Yama Lube 4R, and cleaned the air filters after every couple of rides. Just looked at my valves and they are still in spec!!!!! The bike is truly a gem. If mine were to get stolen, blown up, or otherwise destroyed I would be buying another one tomorrow. The Honda is a great bike but it does need more attention and requires a factory trained tech living in your garage to keep in on the trail as often as the WR. The only other bike I would consider if not the WR would be a KTM EXC. Again though, the KTM will require a bit more wrenching the WR just due to its double oil filter, double screen set up. For me it about riding not wrenching. my .02

• Punisher660

Posted October 28, 2005 - 02:17 PM

I have not had as much ride time on the 4 strokes as the other guys in here. I will tell you that I am truly impressed with the handling, power, and fun factor of this bike. I am comming off a CR500, so that is what I am comparing it to. It won't do the sand like a 500, but everywhere else, it does as well if not better. It doesn't have the power, but power isn't everything.

Overall, best bike I have owned yet.

• baha

Posted October 28, 2005 - 02:33 PM

I did alot of reserch before I bought mine and beard alot of compliants about the honda valves.. I have a friend who has a 2000 and says his has not broke yet and only once has he had to adjust his valves.I went fo reliability and it was less in price as well

• Triumphs

Posted October 28, 2005 - 07:32 PM

By most accounts the latest WR's compare very favorably to the new Honda and it might just come down to personal preference. A lot of the durability concerns for the Honda are based on the 250X history, and the 450's seem to be much better, but I still think the overall advantage here is with the WR. I've had a number of comparable bikes on my short list for next time, and was originally hoping to try something totally different, but few bikes match the combination of modern 4 stroke performance AND traditional thumper reliability and durability. I may just end up on an '06 WR myself...although the thought of an all new aluminum framed '07 sounds intriguing too! :banghead:

• simon@vic

Posted October 28, 2005 - 09:07 PM

i think it is the best modern 4 stroke out there.
but it dosnt have the transmission i want. so i wont be buying another one.

525 exc it is for me next.

• ibleedblu

Posted October 28, 2005 - 09:24 PM

I had a 03 WR450 & put just over 3000, miles on it, It also never gave me a min. of trouble, never even had to ajust the valves. I just sold it two months ago to the first guy that looked at it for $4,300 thats not bad for a bike three years young.. I am now waiting on a paid for 06 YZ450... cant wait!!!! I believe if you take care of your bike, It will take care of you. :banghead:

• flatnacker

Posted October 28, 2005 - 10:33 PM

Coming from an XR 400 I was wantring a bike that needed as little wrench time as possible, like the trust XR. The WR is just that. I have now put 1500+ miles on my 04 with nothing but free mods, done by my dealer, oil changes every 200 miles using Yama Lube 4R, and cleaned the air filters after every couple of rides. Just looked at my valves and they are still in spec!!!!! The bike is truly a gem. If mine were to get stolen, blown up, or otherwise destroyed I would be buying another one tomorrow. The Honda is a great bike but it does need more attention and requires a factory trained tech living in your garage to keep in on the trail as often as the WR. The only other bike I would consider if not the WR would be a KTM EXC. Again though, the KTM will require a bit more wrenching the WR just due to its double oil filter, double screen set up. For me it about riding not wrenching. my .02

You seem impressed that your bike has lasted 1500 miles with lunching itself?? You would bloody well expect it to wouldnt you???

• Atlasrider

Posted October 29, 2005 - 06:27 AM

I own an 04 with nearly 2000 miles, I did the valves once near 1000 miles and they were still in specs. Change the oil (TorcoT4) about every 400 miles or less. Free mods, And what I consider the best add-ons, the JD Jet Kit used in conjunction with INDY 450s Jetting chart :banghead:
Ive owned the older Honda 4 stroke dual sports, A CR 500, and now this WR.
Once I got it jetted properly, (the leak jet was a big help)the bike runs excellent. I use it in the desert most of the time, and for singletrack in the Mtns. during the summer. It does it all well, the only bike that might be better would be a KTM 450 or 400 EXC. If you plan on racing however, you may want to go with a 2 stroke. Almost all of the pro's in WORCS are still on them.
On a scale of 1-10 I give the WR (after you do the mods) an 8.5
Before mods....maybe a 5.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JETMAGNUM

Posted October 29, 2005 - 05:04 PM

has anyone ever put extensive miles on the street with a wr450 and had issues???

• Woody Racing

Posted October 30, 2005 - 04:13 PM

So I think I want the WR but i want the best price. Procycle is low. and International moto brokerage is 5,799$ +200 for shipping for a 2005. i was wondering if you guys bought it for or found a lower price?

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 31, 2005 - 08:36 AM

So I think I want the WR but i want the best price. Procycle is low. and International moto brokerage is 5,799$ +200 for shipping for a 2005. i was wondering if you guys bought it for or found a lower price?

You live in WA, you can meet the Intl' M/C brokers in Blaine and save on the shipping! Of course depending how far south you live and today's gas prices, $200 for shipping might be a deal.

Good choice on the bike :banghead:

One other thing I found, if you plan on racing in any off-road series, Yamaha will not pay contingencies if your bike was bought in Canada :banghead:

• Woody Racing

Posted October 31, 2005 - 04:43 PM

You live in WA, you can meet the Intl' M/C brokers in Blaine and save on the shipping! Of course depending how far south you live and today's gas prices, $200 for shipping might be a deal.

Good choice on the bike :banghead:

One other thing I found, if you plan on racing in any off-road series, Yamaha will not pay contingencies if your bike was bought in Canada :banghead:

first I live 2 and half hours from the border but what do you mean by contingencies. isn't blaine right next to the border?

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 31, 2005 - 07:40 PM

Yamaha will pay you for racing.......... If you look into it. They have a program that you enroll in and if you place at certain off road series events you get contingencies. I am not aware of all the details but I was told by my local shop that because I bought the bike in Canada, I did not qualify :banghead:

Yes, they meet you just on the US side of the border and slide the crate into your truck.

If you can make the round trip for less than $200, I'd do it. They are good guys to deal with and if you can get a Canadian model, alot of the free mods will already be done, (I think, atleast this was still the case in 04'), no throttle stop, no Grey wire, etc..

• ShadyatBest

Posted October 31, 2005 - 10:08 PM

you will need to do all sorts of mods to get a wr to keep up with a x. My buddy did the airbox mods, grey wire, throttle stop, jd kit, power now, dr d pipe and silencer and it is still just a tad slower then my stock 450x.

• Woody Racing

Posted November 03, 2005 - 04:47 PM

I have a crf230 right now and was wondering if the jump is too big up to a 450

• ncmountainman

Posted November 03, 2005 - 07:16 PM

picture a groggy three toed tree sloth just waking up from a nap,then picture a hungry mountain lion taking down a white tail deer. thats about the amount of difference :banghead:

• SkyRaider

Posted November 03, 2005 - 07:56 PM

I did it, so it can be done. It's a big difference, but the power is so smooth that you can handle it if you will take it a little easy at first. It's bigger and heavier, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

I still ride the 230 when I'm riding with the little ones, and I'm trying to get my wife to ride it, too. When I'm with the big boys, I ride the 450.

I like them both.

• SJMC_DON

Posted November 03, 2005 - 08:51 PM

you will need to do all sorts of mods to get a wr to keep up with a x. My buddy did the airbox mods, grey wire, throttle stop, jd kit, power now, dr d pipe and silencer and it is still just a tad slower then my stock 450x.

I don't buy it......... Both running the same gearing?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.