2003 WR450 starter problem information for a potential new owner

75 replies to this topic
  • BajaFool

Posted August 28, 2015 - 07:45 AM

Markjo2013,
I do not understand your problem. Please provide a more complete description of the problem, as well as any modifications to the starter system and replaced parts, then I will try to help you.

• markjo2013

Posted August 28, 2015 - 01:35 PM

put new starter on start a few times then just clicks will not start good battery stock system

• BajaFool

Posted August 28, 2015 - 07:54 PM

Have you tried to push the bike past top dead center and then use the electric starter? If so, what happened?

• SirSasquatch

Posted September 15, 2015 - 04:07 AM

I have had my 03 for about a year and 2,000 miles and use the e start all the time no problem. As far as I know it was never messed with before I had it. I was worried about it at first but I'm not so worried about it now.

• mrgem

Posted October 08, 2015 - 02:52 PM

Zane86,
You have original parts on your 2003 Yamaha WR450F. Read this entire thread from beginning to end. I have personal experience with this issue from when the problem was first identified to when the solution was found and the problem went away. Read and heed my comments in this thread. PM me if you have problems.

Baja Fool

Baja - I know this topic has been thrashed by the group over the years, And I have upgraded my 2003 starter clutch to the 2004+ style as instructed early in this thread. The fix worked perfectly.

As noted by others, I DID NOT replace the entire large left-side engine cover - only the smaller, domed cover and used the spacers to compensate. Now I have a unanticipated, related problem. I fell off the bike trying to roll my front wheel over a cantalope-sized rock in a creek bed last weekend. The bike fell on the left side, bending the shifter and pushing it into the left-side engine cover. It now has a crack in it and leaks oil. That big cover I cracked is a one-year-only part -- 5TJ-15411-00-00. From 2004 to 2006, a revised cover (5TJ-15411-10-00 ) was used. I need to buy a cover and finding someone with the 2003-only cover is not easy. 

Can I simply replace the 2003-only cover with the 2004 and later cover, or will I have to change the parts installed to fix my starter-clutch defect? I've searched this forum and have not been able to find the answer.

TIA for your input.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted October 08, 2015 - 03:13 PM

Baja - I know this topic has been thrashed by the group over the years, And I have upgraded my 2003 starter clutch to the 2004+ style as instructed early in this thread. The fix worked perfectly.

As noted by others, I DID NOT replace the entire large left-side engine cover - only the smaller, domed cover and used the spacers to compensate. Now I have a unanticipated, related problem. I fell off the bike trying to roll my front wheel over a cantalope-sized rock in a creek bed last weekend. The bike fell on the left side, bending the shifter and pushing it into the left-side engine cover. It now has a crack in it and leaks oil. That big cover I cracked is a one-year-only part -- 5TJ-15411-00-00. From 2004 to 2006, a revised cover (5TJ-15411-10-00 ) was used. I need to buy a cover and finding someone with the 2003-only cover is not easy. 

Can I simply replace the 2003-only cover with the 2004 and later cover, or will I have to change the parts installed to fix my starter-clutch defect? I've searched this forum and have not been able to find the answer.

TIA for your input.

Now that you have the other 2004 parts installed, you can change the 2003 cover to the 2004+ cover without any issues or needing to change anything else.

• mrgem

Posted October 08, 2015 - 04:19 PM

Now that you have the other 2004 parts installed, you can change the 2003 cover to the 2004+ cover without any issues or needing to change anything else.

THANKS.

• BajaFool

Posted October 08, 2015 - 08:27 PM

mrgem,

I agree with DeepPurplishBlue that you can use the 2004- 2007 case (remember, the new frame for the WR450 came out in 2008).   Remember, that Yamaha changes that part number for ANY reason that the part is different from its predecessors, even different  decals or paint color.  Your dealer has information on this, if he chooses to reveal it to you.  

What follows are some prices, I did not check for shipping and handling costs.

1. PN 5TJ-15411-10-00 was $119 + S/H, (I didn't calculate S/H) at boat.net http://www.boats.net...5TJ15411-10-00 

2. Parts Pak $99 + S/H http://www.partspak....7xNQaAnkN8P8HAQ

If, however, the later model part does not work, I would blame DeepPurplishBlue :ride:  .

Good luck. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mrgem

Posted October 11, 2015 - 06:36 AM

Thanks, BF - and everyone who weighed in on this very tired subject.

Yeah, Boats.net (AKA Partzilla) is where I bought the conversion "Kit" the first time around. Went together like a charm and has given me many hours and many miles of hard use without a hint of failure. It's just too bad that Yamaha did not own up to this obvious engineering/design flaw and retrofit our bikes for free.

I went back through all the comments in this thread ONE MORE TIME, and this quote (from you) appears to be the operative sentence regarding my situation:

" People did this at first until it became clear that the Cover Crank Case 1 on the 2003 and 2004 bikes were identical, except for the bushing  that was pressed into the 2004 cover at the time of manufacture... "

So rather than transfer the smaller ID bushing from my old cover to the new, the 2004-up cover (5TJ-15411-10-00) already has the smaller ID bushing installed. Perfect.

BTW, Since I'm not likely to stop crashing anytime soon, I am going to fashion a reinforcement to JB-Weld onto my new cover right where the shifter would hit it. Hopefully, this will be the last time I have to pull this part of the bike apart.

• BajaFool

Posted October 11, 2015 - 04:44 PM

mrgem,
I would replace the plastic bashplate with an aluminum bashplate -- worth every penny you pay. Been there and done that.

• markjo2013

Posted October 12, 2015 - 06:15 PM

does anyone know what amps astarter pulls on a wr450f?

• mrgem

Posted October 15, 2015 - 06:11 AM

mrgem,
I would replace the plastic bashplate with an aluminum bashplate -- worth every penny you pay. Been there and done that.

Oh yeah... That and radiator guards were the first mods I made to the bike when I bought it. Nothing worse than smashing your radiator or your water pump when you are 30 miles out in the boonies.

• Rob_WR

Posted July 16, 2016 - 05:02 AM

Gday all. I have just bought my first bike (other than a pw50 and ttr110 for my kids). It's an 03 wr450 in reasonably good condition. The e start wasn't working which I correctly presumed was due to a dead battery. Having now replaced the battery the e start typically starts after 5-10 seconds of continually pressing the ignition button - and there is a loud awful screeching sound.

After googling the problem I eventually came across this thread. It seems I have this 03 starter issue.

I am a bit confused as to what parts I need to replace to do the upgrade and was hoping someone could clarify part numbers go me.

BajaFool - you mentioned that all I need is a bushing and 2 flat washers......is that right?

Thanks in advance

• stevethe

Posted July 16, 2016 - 07:05 AM

Gday all. I have just bought my first bike (other than a pw50 and ttr110 for my kids). It's an 03 wr450 in reasonably good condition. The e start wasn't working which I correctly presumed was due to a dead battery. Having now replaced the battery the e start typically starts after 5-10 seconds of continually pressing the ignition button - and there is a loud awful screeching sound.
After googling the problem I eventually came across this thread. It seems I have this 03 starter issue.
I am a bit confused as to what parts I need to replace to do the upgrade and was hoping someone could clarify part numbers go me.
BajaFool - you mentioned that all I need is a bushing and 2 flat washers......is that right?
Thanks in advance

I haven't seen Baja fool post in this section regularly. So you should push the quote button as that should give him a email that someone quoted his post. Then hopefully he will see it and respond.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted July 16, 2016 - 07:22 AM

Thanks in advance

Loud screeching sound is normally the bushing inside the starter motor has gone bad.   It is repairable, but not

easily.  The bushing is an odd size and not readily available.    Probably better to just replace the starter.

For the 2004 update, ensure that it has not already been done.     On the 2003 the round cover over the idler

gear is flat, whereas the 2004+ cover is rounded and sticks out more.   All of this has been discussed several

times in this thread and many others.   Go back and read the whole thread, and note the pictures of the 2003

idler gear versus the 2004+ damper to confirm if you still have the old setup.

To do the update the minimum parts you would need are the damper (replaces the idler gear), the bushing to

press into your existing stator cover, the two flat washers, and the 2004+ round cover over the damper.

5TJ-15560-00-00    DAMPER ASSY

90201-105A8-00    WASHER,PLATE

5TJ-1549B-00-00   COVER ASSY 2

90380-10002-00    BUSHING

The bushing gets you out of having to change the whole stator cover, but if you need to or want to change

that also the part number is 5TJ-15411-10-00 COVER, CRANKCASE 1

• Rob_WR

Posted July 16, 2016 - 02:25 PM

Thanks DPB. Appreciate your response. I will get on to it

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.