2003 WR450 starter problem information for a potential new owner

75 replies to this topic
  • hyperlite2k1

Posted August 16, 2010 - 04:18 PM

that 04 starter upgrade link says it's "not found" I can't link to it. I recently replaced my starter clutch and now have been shearing woodruff keys after I thought I knew how to put a flywheel back on! I had not idea how bad or what the problem was untill I sheared my second. It makes me sick. Is there a different link to check out. Or can someone make that link active again. I would like to get this upgrade done asap.

• pdunlop

Posted August 16, 2010 - 05:59 PM

It's actually pretty straight-forward and can be swapped over in about 10 minutes:

- Buy the parts listed at the start of this thread, which include the 2004 starter clutch, the 2004 starter clutch cover, 2 spacer/washers, and a small alloy bushing.

- Remove the original starter clutch gear cover (2 bolts). This is being replaced with the deeper 2004 one, so it is no longer needed.

- Pull out the existing starter clutch gear and shaft - these parts won't be needed any longer either.

- Push the bushing into the sidecover where the starter clutch shaft used to go. A light tap with a rubber mallet and plastic drift may help to get it in, but make sure the bushing sits square before tapping it. Ensure it goes in all the way, and that there is no raised lip showing. Don't use a metal drift or you may damage the bushing.

- Put a spacer/washer on either side of the new starter clutch gear (it comes with the shaft already installed). Use some oil or assembly lube on them and on the shaft ends.

- Put the assembled starter clutch gear into the sidecover. You may need to rotate the starter gear slightly to get the teeth to 'mesh' and seat properly.

- Install the new 2004 starter clutch cover with the original 2 retaining bolts.

That's it - I did this mod about 2 weeks ago and had no problems at all!

Edited by pdunlop, August 16, 2010 - 06:20 PM.
Edited to say: Oops - what I'm calling a starter clutch here is actually correctly termed the 'Starter Motor Idler Gear'.

• L. Euler

Posted August 18, 2010 - 01:22 PM

I did the same mod. Piece of cake.

• - Jake -

Posted August 27, 2010 - 11:49 AM

that 04 starter upgrade link says it's "not found"
Is there a different link to check out. Or can someone make that link active again. I would like to get this upgrade done asap.

Here you go
http://web.archive.o...inals/index.htm
some of the pics don't work but it should be some help.

• nicbodd

Posted August 31, 2010 - 09:27 PM

Hi guys

Looking at the photos can someone confirm that my 2003 wr450 has yet to be modified as the parts look different
Posted Image

cheers

• pdunlop

Posted September 01, 2010 - 01:47 AM

Yes, that is the standard 2003 setup.

The 2004 has a more bulbous cover, and the gear mechanism is fixed to the shaft rather than individual pieces.

The full 'kit' looks like this:

Posted Image

• hyperlite2k1

Posted September 02, 2010 - 02:33 PM

I made the 04 mod, lapped and locktite the flywheel per all the info provided. I took it to a track to trash it around. So far so good! If this fixes the problem like everyone says, it a must do on 03's. Thanks everyone! The parts total for me came to $225.

• BajaFool

Posted September 02, 2010 - 07:22 PM

Ok, beginning with Hyperlite2k1's comments on 8/16/10 and all comments that have followed. The problem with the 2003 WR450F woodruff shearing problem was caused by the way the Idler Gear was designed between the Starter Motor end gear and the Starter Clutch. The 2004 WR450F Idler Gear was changed and the problem went away. You are wasting your time to Loctite and lap the Crank Shaft and Fly Wheel. I had a 2003 and upgraded to the 2004 configuration -- end of problem. I was one of the very first to perform this mod.

The photo of parts required provided by PDunlop includes a large EXPENSIVE Starter Clutch Cover that is NOT REQUIRED!!!!! All you have to do is install this Bushing (90380-10002-00 - Bushing - 1 @ $0.54) into your 2003 Starter Clutch Cover. See this link and my comments in it for a complete, exhaustive, narrative of what was wrong with the Starter Idler and how to fix it. http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=303319

By the way, if you had read the entire link that you opened 5 years after it was a dead issue for everyone in the known universe AND BEYOND , you would have found the answer and solution to your questions and problem.

Sorry, it's late and this subject has been thrashed around countless times over the years.

• BajaFool

Posted September 02, 2010 - 07:26 PM

Yes Nicbodd, your Idler Gear is the 2003 configuration. Your Idler Assy Cover is flat. All updated Idlers 2004- 2007 had a raised portion in the middle of the cover.

• nicbodd

Posted September 03, 2010 - 05:42 PM

Cheers BajaFool, I feel your frustration....I to deal with Dic%Heads all day but before I spent my hard earned $$ within your country (as you are 1/2 the price we pay here) i just wanted to confirm, as you and i know, this forum is a wealth of knowledge, but as there is now so much on it, it does take some time to filter through.....

Cheers Nic

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ahlgren88

Posted August 05, 2011 - 12:05 AM

Ok, beginning with Hyperlite2k1's comments on 8/16/10 and all comments that have followed. The problem with the 2003 WR450F woodruff shearing problem was caused by the way the Idler Gear was designed between the Starter Motor end gear and the Starter Clutch. The 2004 WR450F Idler Gear was changed and the problem went away. You are wasting your time to Loctite and lap the Crank Shaft and Fly Wheel. I had a 2003 and upgraded to the 2004 configuration -- end of problem. I was one of the very first to perform this mod.

The photo of parts required provided by PDunlop includes a large EXPENSIVE Starter Clutch Cover that is NOT REQUIRED!!!!! All you have to do is install this Bushing (90380-10002-00 - Bushing - 1 @ $0.54) into your 2003 Starter Clutch Cover. See this link and my comments in it for a complete, exhaustive, narrative of what was wrong with the Starter Idler and how to fix it. http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=303319

By the way, if you had read the entire link that you opened 5 years after it was a dead issue for everyone in the known universe AND BEYOND , you would have found the answer and solution to your questions and problem.

Sorry, it's late and this subject has been thrashed around countless times over the years.

Hello guys!

I also have problems with the electric start on my Yamaha WRF450 -03,

So i did call my local Yamaha-seller in Sweden, and ask after the bushing with number "90380-10002-00". And they found it, but they tell me that it´s to a Roadlegal Yamaha 250 -08, dont remember if they said it was to a WRF250.

And I said, ok but thats what I will order anyway. But then they say that it don´t fits to my Yamaha WRF450 -2003.

Because what I understand everybody are talking about a WRF450 -03 in this thread?

I would be very grateful for answers, and excuse my bad english.

PS. If you look at this picture, a picture of WRF450 -03 Starter clutch
http://www.boats.net...RTER_CLUTCH.png

You cant se the bushings, right?

Edited by Ahlgren88, August 05, 2011 - 12:11 AM.
for more information

• 90atk

Posted March 23, 2014 - 07:16 AM

i know this thread is pretty old but are the parts still reasonably priced and availible to fix the problem? theres an 03 for sale with a broken kick shaft but they guy says its too cold to start with electric. is there any other way to start the bike so i can make sure i runs ok? hes asking $1500 for the bike.

Edited by 90atk, March 23, 2014 - 07:18 AM.

• bg10459

Posted March 23, 2014 - 10:34 AM

You can try to bump start the bike, or jump it with a low-current battery charger.  Jumping off a car or high current charger could damage the starter windings.

Check boats.net for parts pricing and availability.  They seem to have the best prices on the internet.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted March 23, 2014 - 11:57 AM

You can try to bump start the bike, or jump it with a low-current battery charger.  Jumping off a car or high current charger could damage the starter windings.

This is not correct.

A starter motor will only draw a fixed amount of current from the battery, based on the resistance of the windings.

A larger current capacity battery supplies only what is required but will give you more starting capacity and will

not damage your starter.

• mrgem

Posted March 24, 2014 - 06:15 AM

Yes, that is the standard 2003 setup.

The 2004 has a more bulbous cover, and the gear mechanism is fixed to the shaft rather than individual pieces.

The full 'kit' looks like this:

Starter_clutch_wr450.jpg

No need to buy the full cover. The "domed" gear/shaft cover with the new bushing is all that is needed. My 03 had the loctite fix done for free by Yamaha, but I did not have much confidence, so went ahead and replaced the starter gear with the 04-up unit -- just for the piece of mind.

• Eric C

Posted May 31, 2014 - 07:18 AM

Thanks for all the info I'm looking at a wr 450 f right now don't know what yr it is but it needs a top end the owner says do you know of any problems with that???

• BajaFool

Posted May 31, 2014 - 09:17 AM

Eric C.,

Scroll up to near the beginning of this thread and read my discussion of the parts necessary to incorporate the 04 style Starter Idler Gear.  Also, read further and learn about the real cause of the sheared Woodruff Key problem on the 2003 models.  As for the availability of the parts, I assume that the parts are available, call online parts dealers or check my parts list in this thread with your friendly neighborhood Yamaha dealer.  

Remember, you do not require a Cover Crank Case 1  (EXPENSIVE) to incorporate this change.  People did this at first until it became clear that the Cover Crank Case 1 on the 2003 and 2004 bikes where identical, except for the bushing  that was pressed into the 2004 cover at the time of manufacture.  

The bushing required to incorporate the change did not appear on the Yamaha parts diagrams for the 2004 bike.  Trust is important here, the part number was correct at the time and the bushing retailed for $.54 (practically free).

• Zane86

Posted October 19, 2014 - 12:06 PM

Hi. My starter don't work. And i can't confirm if my bike has the 2003 or 2004 setup. Could anyone confirm by looking at these pictures? (Sorry for dirty bike on the images)

According to the Owners Manual:

When turning the starter clutch drive gear counterclockwise, the starter clutch and the starter clutch gear should engage. If the starter clutch drive do not engage, the starter clutch is faulty and must be replaced.

My conclusion:
The starter clutch and clutch gear does not engage, so i guess i need to replace it. Is i worth the money if i have the 2003 setup? (See my images - im not sure if i have the 2003 or 2004 setup).

Also, it looks like the previous owner has used some kind of "glue" to fix the rotor in place. Maybe he has burnt some woodruff keys?

Suggestions anyone? 

1PC156Z.jpg

BX7Xkin.jpg

• BajaFool

Posted October 21, 2014 - 07:14 PM

Zane86,
You have original parts on your 2003 Yamaha WR450F. Read this entire thread from beginning to end. I have personal experience with this issue from when the problem was first identified to when the solution was found and the problem went away. Read and heed my comments in this thread. PM me if you have problems.

Baja Fool

• AJK1

Posted November 16, 2014 - 11:30 PM

The thrust washers and perhaps bushing do not seem to be available on boats.net.

Is there a better source? Or a part number that supersedes the old one?

Also is the woodruff key available to be ordered if it has been sheared?

Cheers!

AJ

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.