Hot Start Plunger Stuck!!!

5 replies to this topic
  • (742)

Posted October 27, 2005 - 10:02 AM

One day i noticed that my hot start lever was stuck. I attempted to free up the plunger in the carburetor and couldn't. It is frozen in the down position. How the heck can i remove it. I thought of drilling a small hole in it and placing a small screw in the hole and using a slide hammer or something to get it out. I am little afraid to mess with it too much in fear of damaging the carburetor, a new one is about $1,100....Any ideas???

• grayracer513

Posted October 27, 2005 - 10:21 AM

Is the cable still in it, or have you broken it out of the plunger?

• Ga426owner

Posted October 27, 2005 - 10:45 AM

Try putting some penetrating oil in the plunger hole - hopefully it will eat through some of the corrosion between the carb wall and the plunger - if not you will have to drill out the plunger - do not drill into the carb

Some how condensation and or cleaning solvent got down in there - I try to keep some white lithium grease in that hole -

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • (742)

Posted October 27, 2005 - 10:53 AM

The cable broke off or out whatever, when i was pulling on it to try and free it up. Once the cable was out of there, i began to pull on it with some needle nose plyers and nothing happened.

• grayracer513

Posted October 27, 2005 - 12:41 PM

Try soaking it with penetrating oil as recommended, then, if it still won't budge, try heating it with a hair dryer to see if that helps.

After that, I would take it to a machinist, have him drill into it, thread it, and pull it out using a bolt and nut as a puller, or by using a slide hammer.

• (742)

Posted October 28, 2005 - 04:35 AM

Thanks!!!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.