Timing Question

4 replies to this topic
  • VOODOOCHILD

Posted October 26, 2005 - 07:06 PM

I have replaced my timing chain and have timed my bike, but when the timing marks are lined up with the top of the head the " I " mark is just forward of the timing hole mark. If I line up the " I " mark, the marks on the cams are off by just about the thickness of the marks. They are not off by a tooth either way. I already checked just for grins. The manual shows a bad picture of the cam marks. Exhaust looks high and the Intake looks even with the top of the head. This puts the mark right where it should be. I just want to know how exact other people's timing marks line up respectably. I just dropped money on a head rebuild for a stretched timing chain. I'm being careful. Any help would be great. Thanks. (98 YZ400F) :banghead:

• 02YZ426

Posted October 26, 2005 - 07:30 PM

When I did mine I also noticed the marks were out just a little... I cant remember which cam was out, but I do know one lined up perfect and the other didnt. It wasnt enough that I was worried about it. Im sure there are a few more out there like that too... I wonder if its from the cam slipping on the gear or if they are like that from the factory?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Nodrog

Posted October 27, 2005 - 04:07 AM

Hi Voodochild - I have a 99 Wr 400 and just recently replaced the timing chain , after my chain kept jumping teeth - Luckily I didn't have any damage , just a lovely klanking noise - Ended up doing cam timing in the middle of the African Bush - On replacing the cams ,I found that the cam timing marks didn't line up 100% - Previously I tilted the Exhaust cam Inwards and left the Inlet cam Level - This time round I did the opposite and unleashed a handful more horses - Exhaust cam Lined up - Inlet Cam - 1 tooth clockwise -I now have a completely different ride - tons more power , that i didn't have previously .
Cheers .
Nodrog . :banghead:

• Chazlom

Posted October 28, 2005 - 08:52 PM

Anyone else have input on the timing marks on the cams???? :lol:

What have you 450 guys seen on your timing marks?

:banghead: :banghead:

At TDC are they lined up or off a little as discribed?

Posted Image

Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted October 28, 2005 - 09:34 PM

The marks are quite commonly off just a little. As you noticed, as long as it's not a whole tooth in either direction, you're right where you belong. Something to remember is that you want the front chain run tight when you check the mark alignment. Push the chain tensioner in with a finger and roll the engine forward into position to check it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.