Keyed ignition switch?

14 replies to this topic
  • Shawn_Mc

Posted October 26, 2005 - 04:02 PM

Id like to find a keyed ignition switch for my XR.

The only one I can find is from fourstrokesonly.com, but he's rarely in the office/garage or where ever he runs that place out of...

All I need is a two wired keyed on off switch. Seems like it should be easy... :banghead:

• ponq

Posted October 26, 2005 - 04:10 PM

I bought mine at a local harware store for under $20. I haven't had the motivation to put it on yet though.

• knuklehead

Posted October 26, 2005 - 05:22 PM

Maybe off a newer xr100/150 they have keys

• wr450fyamaha

Posted October 26, 2005 - 05:35 PM

man, you are in luck! there is one on ebay right now for 50ish. http://cgi.ebay.com/...584578297QQrdZ1

• Shawn_Mc

Posted October 26, 2005 - 06:06 PM

man, you are in luck! there is one on ebay right now for 50ish. http://cgi.ebay.com/...584578297QQrdZ1

Thats a nice piece, but its got a steering lock on it I dont need.

The one at Fourstrokes only is only 27 bucks and is exactly what I want...but the guy is a wild card...what do I expect from a racer...he's prolly out racing, getting ready to race or practicing... :banghead:

I'll probably bite the bullet and just call him and order it...I can ride it without it...

• wr450fyamaha

Posted October 26, 2005 - 06:09 PM

yeah.....i think i would add 25 bucks and go with the more secure ebay....and the steering lock is a very very nice addition....no one can just roll it up a ramp into their truck that way.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted October 26, 2005 - 06:17 PM

If I had an XR650 that had the provision for a steering lock, Id consider it. But since Im messing around with an 83" XR500R a guy gave me in four separate boxes, that Ive been able to put together ride and register street legally for less than 250 bucks, Im trying to keep the outlay on this bike down. Its also why Im being such a cheap bastard about the speedo too. Its part of the fun. If I can get this thing setup the way I want it for 500 bucks I'll be stoked. I even went as far as to charge the shock with my freakin air compressor just because I could. Its not like it'll ever get hot enough to matter...Im not riding moto on the thing....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wr450fyamaha

Posted October 26, 2005 - 07:14 PM

haha, awsome dude. good work, i would love to build a junker bike just to beat the shit out of it.

• LVThumper

Posted October 26, 2005 - 07:24 PM

I'm no electrical guru, but would a key switch from a XR/CRF 50 work? Maybe someone with a little more experience can pipe in.

• Thumpmeister

Posted October 26, 2005 - 11:04 PM

I think one of the best items I've seen in this aspect is the ones off of ebay. Granted, they're a few dollars more then what you have there, but they're really nice...
http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

• jim1234

Posted October 27, 2005 - 02:27 AM

I just put the one with the speedo on my bike. It is very nice, and much easier to reset for D/s rides.

• Fordskin

Posted October 27, 2005 - 03:57 AM

Here in Australia my 05 650r has a steering lock standard on the side of the steering stem thingy. :banghead: :banghead:

• Shawn_Mc

Posted October 27, 2005 - 01:26 PM

haha, awsome dude. good work, i would love to build a junker bike just to beat the shit out of it.

There in lies the problem. This freakin bike is nice (for a 22 year old dirt bike) its got the original plastic on it, which cleaned up better than I would have thought possible. It runs great and all it really needs is a rear tire :banghead: the electrical works perfectly (head light will blind you) and Im torn with throwing buckets of money at it, or simply just cruising it as is... :banghead: I'll have to snap a couple pics and post them...you'll be surprized...

I just looked up the CRF50F key switch...new with new key in it is only 24 bucks at the Honda dealer...

Thats easy enough...

• Eric Henion

Posted October 27, 2005 - 06:36 PM

Try getting a key switch from Honda from a quad it will have two Honda keys and a two wire pigtail to wire into the kill switch circuit. you will need to make a bracket to mount it though.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted October 27, 2005 - 07:08 PM

There in lies the problem. This freakin bike is nice (for a 22 year old dirt bike) its got the original plastic on it, which cleaned up better than I would have thought possible. It runs great and all it really needs is a rear tire :banghead: the electrical works perfectly (head light will blind you) and Im torn with throwing buckets of money at it, or simply just cruising it as is... :banghead: I'll have to snap a couple pics and post them...you'll be surprized...

I just looked up the CRF50F key switch...new with new key in it is only 24 bucks at the Honda dealer...

Thats easy enough...

cool man, get some pics up asap......general rule, it isnt worth putting money into somthing unless its almost new or ever 60 years old.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.