XR400 to XR650R

9 replies to this topic
  • gdm

Posted October 26, 2005 - 11:35 AM

Has anyone out there made this jump from a 400 to the 650R. I ride the typical S. Cal. stuff, desert,Gorman, Big Bear, lots of dual sport rides. If you made this jump what did you think? How is the weight difference? I am also considering a 450X, but like the idea of XR reliability and less maintenance. Any info. greatly appreciated. :banghead:

• JackAttack

Posted October 26, 2005 - 12:14 PM

I jumped from an XR440 to a XR650R. No problems at all, very similar riding and weight with gobs more power and torque. (A stock XR400 was like a puppy compared to my 440.)

The main problem that I found with the 650 was that I could not stop it in the corners. I had to start braking much earlier than on the 400, due to the additional weight/speed.

I have ridden Gorman, Big Bear, and other So. Cal. desert locations on both bikes and found the 650 to be more fun. :banghead:

• snaggleXR650

Posted October 27, 2005 - 04:56 AM

I went from a stock 400 to a 650R. The power difference is obvious, but I found that the 650R was as easy or easier to ride in the tight, soft, sandy conditions that I rode in at the time due to better/more balanced suspension. Note, this is with stock suspension on both bikes, I've never been fortunate enough to ride a bike that was setup for my 210lbs. The 650R is heavy, but the power more than makes up for the small weight difference between the 400 and 650R. The 650R only really accels at baja, but is still a total blast in nearly all other conditions except motocross.

• Roll_it_on

Posted October 27, 2005 - 06:42 AM

I have an XR400 set up for my son (426 kit, cam etc..) and it is a great bike but the smooth big power and torque of the 650R makes it more fun to ride. The only time I really feel the weight difference is if I need to load it in the truck or pick it up. There is also something about the way watercooled bikes run that makes me appreciate the technology improvement.

• TimBrp

Posted October 27, 2005 - 08:26 AM

watercooled = consistent power all day long.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BRP-rider

Posted October 27, 2005 - 03:11 PM

I am 16 years old.
When I was 8 I got a Honda XR80.
When I was 12 I got a Honda XR100.

I sold my XR80 a while ago.

About a year ago I sold my XR100 and I bought an XR600R. :banghead:

It was a big jump in power, weight, size, (everything). :lol:

But I love it. The bike is great, walks up just about any hill. :banghead:

So you going from an XR400 to an XR650, should not be a problem.

I would do it for sure. The bigger the bike, the better. :busted:

• BWB63

Posted October 27, 2005 - 03:38 PM

I have both and ride Big Bear, Beaumont, Jawbone, Yucca Valley, Stoddard Wells, Gorman. So. Cal.
The XR400 just has header/muffler Edelbrock pumper carburetor bored to 38mm and it's a lot of fun it the tight stuff. I can run most single track faster on the XR400 riding balls to the wall.

The XR650R is a 680cc monster with a killer cam, oversized intake valves, 102.4mm weisco piston, blaa, blaa, yada, yada.....

Which one do you think I ride more?

http://xr650r.borynack.com/

Send me a Pm if you want to try the XR650R out sometime. I live North of where the 60 freeway and the I-10 come together. North of Beaumont

• oldturtle

Posted October 27, 2005 - 06:09 PM

I have both the 400 and 650R. If I could only have one bike for both dual sport and trails then that bike would be the XR400. In the wide open stuff the 650R is faster, more stable, and more fun. In the tight trails the 400 works much better for me and is much more fun. Im talking about lofting front tire over angled snotty logs, getting up steep and tight switchbacks, mile after mile of first and second gear trail blazing. In these conditions the 400 is nearly as much fun as the KDX. It is just more important for me to have the right bike for the gnarly conditions than to have the right bike for the wide open conditions. But I do believe that if the 440 with all those mods made your 400 a better bike for you then you will more than likely like the 650R better. If your riding conditions were such that a stock XR400 motor was better then I would say forget about the 650R. I also own 02 GL1800 and really appreciate the right tool for the job. My dirt riding is primarily Northern Calif enduro trails and fire roads. I am 6'-0" and 210 lbs.

• huntmaster

Posted October 28, 2005 - 06:06 AM

So you going from an XR400 to an XR650, should not be a problem. I would do it for sure. The bigger the bike, the better.

I liked the XR400 myself, but as noted the 650R really doesn't feel much heavier in the tight stuff and is tons better in open country and roads. If you are going dualsporting or to Baja the 650 will have the advanatage...but there's nothing wrong with the 400 for pure single track and trail riding.

• TimBrp

Posted October 28, 2005 - 06:44 AM

I liked the XR400 myself, but as noted the 650R really doesn't feel much heavier in the tight stuff and is tons better in open country and roads. If you are going dualsporting or to Baja the 650 will have the advanatage...but there's nothing wrong with the 400 for pure single track and trail riding.

I agree. I rode my 650R through 65 miles of single track on a ride this year. I burnt through a set of brake pads just that day from all the brake sliding. The bike is a handful in the tight stuff. Hit the weights and get some time on it and you'll be golden. She shines ANYWHERE else. I went out and bought a light 250 enduro 2 stroke as I wanted something lighter and got a weekend on it. I then took my 650R out the next weekend and fell in love with it all over again. The 250 is for sale now, rode it twice

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.