Motor oil?

11 replies to this topic
  • Tsk350

Posted October 25, 2005 - 11:48 PM

What type of motor oil is everybody running in there WR450s? I only had my bike for a week and took a spill at 80mph on a mountain back road (yea it wasnt pretty) I am in the process of rebuilding my bike and need to know what the best oil for my bike is and how often you all change it. :banghead: :banghead: Thanks!!

• byggd

Posted October 26, 2005 - 05:53 AM

What type of motor oil is everybody running in there WR450s? I only had my bike for a week and took a spill at 80mph on a mountain back road (yea it wasnt pretty) I am in the process of rebuilding my bike and need to know what the best oil for my bike is and how often you all change it. :banghead: :banghead: Thanks!!

Do a search and you will find more oil recommendations than you ever wanted :lol: I run Rotilla T synth :busted:

• GCannon

Posted October 26, 2005 - 02:12 PM

Use a High quality synthetic or semi synthetic motor oil designed for motorcycle engines. Motorcycle oils have no friction modifiers because you dont want to friction modify you wet clutch.

• JETMAGNUM

Posted October 26, 2005 - 02:26 PM

Has Anyone Tried Klotz Mx4 Oil? Does That Have Modifiers?

• dbailey223

Posted October 26, 2005 - 03:45 PM

Yamalube or whatever Yamaha calls their oil, as per the service manual, for me. I ride, but not real hard since I'm not a teenager anymore! And, I change the oil about every 20 hours.

• moach1

Posted October 26, 2005 - 04:06 PM

yamalube 4-r

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted October 26, 2005 - 04:15 PM

Motul 15W50 5100 semi synthetic for me.
I can't justify full synthetic (twice the price) when I change oil every 500kms.

It doesn't really matter which oil you use (as long as it is right type of oil) as long as you change oil regularly.

• tp3dxf

Posted October 27, 2005 - 03:05 AM

What were you running before? Did you change it often? Did you ever change it? Owned the bike for a week and already did a 80 mph header? Did the mountain back road crash destroy your motor?

Ok just messing with you a bit. The Which Oil is the Best question has really never been answered. Do a search on this site and you will see that there is a lot of different opinions. I run dino oil and it's served me well. What ever you decide to run just make sure to change it often. That seems to be the closest to the bottom line.

Have fun with your new WR. They are great bikes.

• WGP

Posted October 27, 2005 - 06:23 AM

Thumper
Semi-Synthetic Racing Oil :banghead:

• Tsk350

Posted October 30, 2005 - 08:11 PM

What does everybody think of thumper oil? I've used it and it seems thick and sticky. Is this a good thing? :banghead:

• wRrooster

Posted October 30, 2005 - 10:51 PM

I've been using Thumper oil ever since the first oil change on this bike, and have had mostly good luck with it. It barely discolors between new and when I change it (about every 300kms).....but I noticed something strange the last time I changed my oil. After pouring the liter of oil into my bike, I saw some black residue sitting in the bottom of the bottle! I thought &%$#@!, I just poured a bunch of dirt in to my bike! I called Bel Ray and the guy on the phone said that it was just an additive that had dropped out of solution. He also said that if I poured oil back into the bottle and shook it up, it would mix again, and that engine temps would dissolve it back into solution. This seems entirely possibly, but I'm thinking of trying another brand, just for peace of mind! Has anyone else ever noticed this with their brand of oil?

• 5valve

Posted October 31, 2005 - 11:56 AM

some oils will deposit when stored for prolongued time so it is recommended to mix any oil before pouring

Im using ELF 10W-50 sint, change it at approx 1000 kms (600 miles), but will probably lower to 800 kms
bike is 99 and is not burning any oil and has had series of oils run through it (semi and sint), engine is constantly tortured in low speed terrain
no oil issues ever

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.