Bent rear rotor

12 replies to this topic
  • jkwithers

Posted October 25, 2005 - 06:59 PM

Tonight I was changing my rear tire and I think that when I did I bent my rear rotor :bonk :lol: : I reinstalled the wheel with the slightly bent rotor. My question is will I do much more damage if I ride it this way :banghead: :banghead:

Thanks for your help.
P.s. Does anyone want to sell me one for my 03 xr650r?

• LotsOfBikes

Posted October 25, 2005 - 07:06 PM

Slight bend... It'll make your rear brakes feel spongy. My '97 XR400 had a slightly bent warped rotor. It was noticeable. when looking at it, but not while the brakes were being applied. I usually don't use the rear brakes that often anyway.

• J_Daniels

Posted October 25, 2005 - 08:11 PM

With a bent/warped rotor, the caliper will have to move side to side rapidly as it clamps the rotor. This will cause some wear on the caliper pins. It really depends on how badly the rotor is warped whether this will cause any damage or not. Best bet is to change the rotor out immediately, since they are not too expensive. Barring that, I would certainly make sure the caliper mounting pins are well lubricated to prevent any additional damage until the rotor can be replaced.

• jkwithers

Posted October 26, 2005 - 03:38 AM

Thanks for the info. The rotor isnt bent very badly. I do notice the caliper moving when I spin the wheel. I will change it soon. Do you think that I can take it off and straighten it???

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted October 26, 2005 - 07:04 AM

Do you think that I can take it off and straighten it???

I would certainly try to straighten it before buying a new one.

You might try a large vise with expanded jaws, or even try to straighten it
caveman-style with a hammer, but placing it on a surface such as a hard
piece of plywood on a concrete floor, and also use a hard piece of wood (like an oak 4x4) on the topside to buffer the hammer blows.

Don't kill it with the hammer, just try and re-form/coerce it. Controlled, but
effective.

• Baja Rudy

Posted October 26, 2005 - 07:59 AM

don't remove it from the wheel ... use the largest "cresent" wrench to work out the bend. if you remove it or use a hammer there is no control over the force you will apply. I don't even think you need to buy one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted October 26, 2005 - 09:20 AM

don't remove it from the wheel ... use the largest "cresent" wrench to work out the bend. if you remove it or use a hammer there is no control over the force you will apply. I don't even think you need to buy one.

Good thinking. :banghead:

He could check for the "run-out" while the wheel is on the bike, and mark the rotor at this (or these) point(s), then use the crescent wrench method. Might even not have to remove the wheel. Just keep making small adjustments until it is re-straightened, and no longer wavers between the caliper pads.

• jkwithers

Posted October 26, 2005 - 09:49 AM

Good info thanks. Like most of us im sure my wife does not like me spending money on my screw ups

• XR4DEZ

Posted October 26, 2005 - 12:20 PM

You tell her?

• jkwithers

Posted October 27, 2005 - 03:52 AM

Thanks for the info... I used the old coat hanger on the swing arm and the crescent wrench method... worked nicely

Thanks

• wr450fyamaha

Posted October 27, 2005 - 06:02 PM

if its like a thousandths in the outside, it wont do anything. if its half an inch, it will work just fine :banghead: :banghead: :lol: it all depends on how bent it is.

• oldturtle

Posted October 27, 2005 - 06:20 PM

We have also fixed many bent rotors with a very large crescent wrench on the bike. That is only situation where I would tolerate using crescent wrench on any toys.

• jkwithers

Posted October 28, 2005 - 01:56 PM

yeah it was about 1/8th of an inch but it is all fixed now. I liked the idea about putting a coat hanger on the swing arm barely touching the disc and then spinning it and marking the spots where the disc moved away from the hanger :banghead: :banghead:

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.