Which is best?

11 replies to this topic
  • Emiliano

Posted October 25, 2005 - 05:12 PM

I have a 99 YZ400 and was wondering which oil filter is better the one reusable or the paper one?

Thanks

• aedwards07

Posted October 25, 2005 - 05:40 PM

I would say the Stainless(the reusuable one) is the better of the 2.I believe the Scotts filters down to 35microns.Also the Ready Filter Comp flow is another good stainless oil filter.

• tp3dxf

Posted October 25, 2005 - 05:54 PM

For as much as I have changed my oil I would say the Scotts Stainless Steel filter has done me well. It wasn't cheap but it's done it's job and continues to do so.

• yzfmxer

Posted October 25, 2005 - 06:23 PM

I believe that the stock fliter in your 400 was paper correct?? My 02 426 came with the I belive it was Brass mesh screen type filter. I know its not stainless. they will both work in you bike. At my dealer the reusable one was actually a dollar cheeper than the paper one?? if i were you I would keep using the reusable one, and replace it about every 10 or so changes. or buy the best....... a Scotts stainless filter and never have to worry about it again!!!

• grayracer513

Posted October 25, 2005 - 06:44 PM

The stock brass mesh filter that originally came with your bike filters to only 70-80 microns, and it can be cleaned, but it's relatively delicate.

Paper can go as fine as 20 microns for the very high quality units, and can even stop some of the finer debris, but they don't flow very freely, which can cause them to bypass unfiltered oil, and their quality can be somewhat variable from one lot to another.

The Scotts stainless filters to 35 microns, flows more oil than your pump could ever deliver, is reusable, and very durable. I know one guy who's had his for 4 years. The best buy of any available option, and worth every cent.

• Jetsprint2

Posted October 25, 2005 - 07:49 PM

The stock brass mesh filter that originally came with your bike filters to only 70-80 microns, and it can be cleaned, but it's relatively delicate.

Paper can go as fine as 20 microns for the very high quality units, and can even stop some of the finer debris, but they don't flow very freely, which can cause them to bypass unfiltered oil, and their quality can be somewhat variable from one lot to another.

The Scotts stainless filters to 35 microns, flows more oil than your pump could ever deliver, is reusable, and very durable. I know one guy who's had his for 4 years. The best buy of any available option, and worth every cent.

So gray, what do you run?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Emiliano

Posted October 26, 2005 - 05:48 AM

OK thanks a lot for the advice, rigth now I'm running original Yamaha OIL Filter (the reusable), I don't think I can find Scotts filter here, but I LL try thanks a lot

• grayracer513

Posted October 26, 2005 - 07:08 AM

Order one from the Thumper Talk store. You'll have to call and ask for it, but they'll get you one.

So gray, what do you run?

After all that, you have to ask?

Scotts. One for each bike.

• Emiliano

Posted October 26, 2005 - 07:18 AM

[quote name='grayracer513']Order one from the Thumper Talk store. You'll have to call and ask for it, but they'll get you one.

I'm in south America Mate

• SureBlue

Posted October 26, 2005 - 04:21 PM

[quote name='Emiliano'][quote name='grayracer513']Order one from the Thumper Talk store. You'll have to call and ask for it, but they'll get you one.

I'm in south America Mate[/QUOTE]
Worked for me and I'm even farther.

• Emiliano

Posted October 26, 2005 - 08:36 PM

Worked for me and I'm even farther.

Where?, how do you get the stuff sended to you?

• SureBlue

Posted October 27, 2005 - 11:35 AM

Emiliano, check your PM. :banghead:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.