426 in the sand?

29 replies to this topic
  • dmoney2023

Posted October 27, 2005 - 06:16 AM

I got my 00' 426 for $2500 and I've been very happy with it. Riding sand at first is really hard. My first time out I crashed at least 2-3 times. The key is to give it the gas and just sit back. If you put too much weight on your front tire it will dig in and you'll be toast. Essentially the back tire has to do it all and the front tire just glides over the sand.

I run an 8 paddle and it hooks up like mad. I ride at St. Anthony dunes in Idaho and we've got some pretty big dunes here. I rip up them in third pulling a wheelie the whole way. I ride with guys on 250 2 smokers and they can't climb anything.

Don't ride a regular tire, you'll lose all your power. It would be like putting my toyota corrola tires on a dodge viper. Sure it will still be fast, but it won't hook up very well and you won't be alble to use nearly all of the power.

• nimiz1

Posted October 27, 2005 - 11:38 AM

hello there
what is a paddle?

• xnofriendsx

Posted October 27, 2005 - 11:48 AM

Check this link for a paddle tire photo.

• nimiz1

Posted October 27, 2005 - 12:39 PM

• KJG15

Posted October 27, 2005 - 02:34 PM

i was just wondering if you guys have any pics of you riding jumping in the dunes?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xnofriendsx

Posted October 27, 2005 - 02:52 PM

I dont have any photos, but i do a lot of video production related stuff and i will be buying a helmet camera soon. Should be interesting. Can't wait to get my setup.
There are plenty of DVD's that have footage of sand in them.
Videos like FMX Riot, the Crusty videos, Seth 1 and 2, etc.
I am sure the internet had plenty of photos of guys riding in the sand. Just search like Pismo Dunes, Glamis Dunes, or St. Anthony Dunes in Idaho.

Good luck.

• ISBB

Posted October 27, 2005 - 03:12 PM

and a whole heap of others.. that should get you started for a few days of reading.. :banghead:

• KJG15

Posted October 27, 2005 - 04:07 PM

• BRY_426F_

Posted August 28, 2008 - 06:54 PM

I have yet to try out my sand snake 10 paddle. hopefulle I will be able to labor day weekend at sand mountain(little sahara), UT. hopefully all goes wel!

• Lawn Dart

Posted August 28, 2008 - 07:49 PM

Running a paddle in the sand is a whole different animal. You are going to have to learn how to turn with one. The throttle is your friend. Have fun!

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.