426 in the sand?

My 2002 YZ426 mobs it up in the sand. I live near Pismo and take it out there all the time. I dont use a paddle at all because i ride trails too and it sucks switching them out. I am 6ft 4 and 230lbs. It flys out there.A paddle would be really nice to use, but not totally necessary. Just be sure to hose the bike down afterwards. Salt air/water kills.

I got my 2002 YZ426 for $3500 but got a really good deal.

Base some of your prices off of this if you want.

Here is everything that i got for $3500

02 YZ426 with low hours

Hot Cam (major plus), plus the guy gave me the original cam too

Enzo Kayaba Suspension

Renthal Twinwall Bars

New Grips

Gear (Thor Helmet, 2 Pants, 2 Jerseys, 2 Chest Protectors, Pads, 5 Gloves, Alpine Stars Tech 6 Boots, Bag)

All i had to do was get a spark arrester. $120

Good luck with everything.

Brian

The 426 is the best bike I've ever ridden in the sand. I run an 8 paddle but would like to go to a 10. The 8 is really rough on the hardpack whereas a 10 is much smoother. Plus the power of the 426 can handle a 10 with no problems.... I'm also 230 lbs and there is no problems with power at all even with the paddles.

I freaking HATE the sand!! I guess I'm just still a n00b but I always feel like the front tire is going to grab and take me down.....(sometimes it does :banghead: )

BTW - I just picked up a cherry 01 426...all stock except an FMF Ti pipe for $3200.

I freaking HATE the sand!! I guess I'm just still a n00b but I always feel like the front tire is going to grab and take me down.....(sometimes it does :banghead: )

BTW - I just picked up a cherry 01 426...all stock except an FMF Ti pipe for $3200.

You see that thing on the right side of the handlebars that goes twist twist...?

twist it more...

2wheelers are difficult to ride slow in the sand because the tire constantly wants to dig on... if you just ride a little back on the seat.. without your nutz huggin the gas cap like you would mx style... and give it a little more throttle you will be fine.. :busted: the faster you go the easier it is.. Dont give up yet nOOb.. :busted: it took me 1 1/2 yrs to get the art of riding in the sand down before i really started to enjoy it.. :banghead:

just my 2 cents..

I live up in Atascadero (20-25 minutes north of Pismo) and just got back into dirtbikes from a 15 year break. Last time i rode was when i was a grom. Im not sure if you have ridden a dirtbike in the sand before, but I wasn't sure what to expect in the sand, and i thought it was actually quite easy after like the first 30 minutes of getting used to it. I love it now and prefer it actually.

But the 426 mobs it up out there even with my height and weight. You will be amped on it.

i ride at pismo alot but im coming off my 98 yz125, it is fun riding it out there but it is aot of work and hard on my bike.so it is time to get a new bike. i ran a paddle on my 125 for a cupple of rides but got tired of changing it. i never had the problem of front tire felling like it is going to grab,if it felt like it was going to i would just lean back.I live in nipomo it only takes me 15-20mins to get out there even with loding the bike up and getting gas.

I ride only sand and I have a paddle tyre on my 05 YZ450. I think it is a Sand Snake 10 paddle..

It is fantastic and totally blows away and intimidates all the other bikes that come to try the big dunes..

A little less roost a lot more traction.. The only problem is keeping the front end down going up the dunes..