Whats so great about XR650's?

18 replies to this topic
  • kawirider

Posted October 24, 2005 - 05:52 PM

I am looking to get a big bore thumper, but I have always thought that the 450's were faster than the 600/ 650's. I have really only ridden mx 450's so I dont have experiance with other big bore thumpers. Would they be rideable in the woods? wait, let me rephrase that, would it be fun to ride in the woods? How does the torque compare to a 450? is there a hit? and what is the acceleration like in comparison to a 450? Lastly, is the rear tire, sprocket, and chain wear excessive? thx for the help

• hill5150

Posted October 24, 2005 - 05:55 PM

If you want to ride track, run the 450r, or run a two smoke, if you want to do 100 mph and say goodbye to all your buddies, run the 650r. The pig works fine in tight stuff, it is really meant for balls out 5th gear open dez though. I have had my Renthal and chain on for 2 years now no problems, lube it....... :banghead: P.S. I ride my bike to work and the cops hate me. :banghead:

• BIG RED

Posted October 24, 2005 - 06:18 PM

i had a 450 before my 650r and i'd never go back, but i don't ride the track. also don't need a new engine every year!

• Roll_it_on

Posted October 24, 2005 - 06:33 PM

I've got both a crf450X and the XR650R and I've ridden the 450R as well so here a couple of my impressions. The acceleration is similar, the 450 has more of a hit and it revs faster and higher which make it feel a little faster but not so much the case in a drag race. The torque is not even comparable since the 650 is like a big block Chevy muscle car :banghead: which makes it easier to ride in many situations and makes for great wheelies. You can plod along with the 650 and also flat out fly with the twist of the wrist. The 450 is great in the tight stuff since it feels much lighter especially if you get it stuck or have to pick it up. The e-start is nice too. If I had to choose only one bike to do everthing ( tight trails to cross country ) then it would still be my dual sported 650R as the bike of choice.

• kawirider

Posted October 24, 2005 - 07:15 PM

thanks for everybodys help its been a lot of help. I just have one more question, could I get a XR650R (not 600) for under 3k? thanks for all the help

• BlueBayou

Posted October 24, 2005 - 07:18 PM

I like the old saying "there is no replacement for displacement"

which turns out isn't always true, especially in the case of modern technology. However, to make a smaller engine put out the same power as a larger engine I feel one of the first sacrifices is reliability.

The other sacrifice often comes in the form of usability. Most of the time when smaller engines are pushed to a much higher output than usual(high performance smaller displacement engines-125s, 250s...) they have a very peaky powerband giving you the "kick" you talk about, while fun, it doesnt actually help with speed.

• kawirider

Posted October 24, 2005 - 07:29 PM

Does the XR650 feel as heavy as it is? I mean I have ridden heavy bikes before, ( a WR450F) but does this bike feel all that heavy. I didnt really realize this before, so would it feel like a 300 lb bike in tighter trails (not single track) and is it a beast to pick up again? this would be a big deal since sometimes my 225 lb 450 can seem kinda heavy

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted October 24, 2005 - 08:13 PM

I sold mine for 3.3k and really missed it until I got my Drz400S. They are hard to tear up so finding one in good shape is not too hard. Buy one you will not be sorry.

• liquidcooled

Posted October 24, 2005 - 08:25 PM

I've got both a crf450X and the XR650R and I've ridden the 450R as well so here a couple of my impressions. The acceleration is similar, the 450 has more of a hit and it revs faster and higher which make it feel a little faster but not so much the case in a drag race. The torque is not even comparable since the 650 is like a big block Chevy muscle car :banghead: which makes it easier to ride in many situations and makes for great wheelies. You can plod along with the 650 and also flat out fly with the twist of the wrist. The 450 is great in the tight stuff since it feels much lighter especially if you get it stuck or have to pick it up. The e-start is nice too. If I had to choose only one bike to do everthing ( tight trails to cross country ) then it would still be my dual sported 650R as the bike of choice.

Nice combo, Roll_it_on. The 650 is lots of fun but frankly I only use it for Baja. It's just too heavy for tight stuff and it boils over all the time in Cal City. The 450 is also a wheelie machine and is just so much lighter! Plus the e-start is killer.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Desertskyy

Posted October 24, 2005 - 09:08 PM

It's just too heavy for tight stuff and it boils over all the time in Cal City.

I have ridden all over Cal City without a single time with my bike boiling over. Is your BRP set up correctly??? Also, it not that heavy for the tight stuff. It is the perfect bike for the right rider and terrain.

Just my .02

• qadsan

Posted October 24, 2005 - 09:28 PM

I have ridden all over Cal City without a single time with my bike boiling over...

Ditto on no boil overs at Cal City or surrounding areas for me either. Also no boil overs at Gorman on any of the black diamond trails inside the park or in the national forest. Also, no boil overs at Glamis, Dumont, etc, during some fairly warm temps over the years, but I've been on rides with other folks who did have their bikes boil.

• hill5150

Posted October 25, 2005 - 07:42 AM

Nice combo, Roll_it_on. The 650 is lots of fun but frankly I only use it for Baja. It's just too heavy for tight stuff and it boils over all the time in Cal City. The 450 is also a wheelie machine and is just so much lighter! Plus the e-start is killer.

If you are boiling over in Cal City: You need to do all the following:

1- Ride Faster

2-Use dexcool

3-Water wetter

4-Change the rado cap

5- Ride Faster

:banghead:

• Old_Man_Time

Posted October 25, 2005 - 10:02 AM

Does the XR650 feel as heavy as it is? I mean I have ridden heavy bikes before, ( a WR450F) but does this bike feel all that heavy. I didnt really realize this before, so would it feel like a 300 lb bike in tighter trails (not single track) and is it a beast to pick up again? this would be a big deal since sometimes my 225 lb 450 can seem kinda heavy

I love mine and used to ride it in the tight stuff all the time and still do every now and then. It is heavy when it comes to picking it up, specially if you dump it over a bank. I don't dump mine very often and that is the key. They definitely feel heavier when your trying to do speed in the tight stuff. You develop a different riding style and approach things differently. Once you do that you can move at a pretty good clip in the tight stuff. It really depends on what your looking for in a bike. It is pretty much an all around bike but excels in the wide open or long steep hills.

If your looking for something that can do everything then it is a pretty good choice. But if you ride almost exclusively tight trails and you like to go very fast then buy a different bike.

• Ramcc4x4

Posted October 25, 2005 - 12:57 PM

I have ridden all over Cal City without a single time with my bike boiling over. Is your BRP set up correctly??? Also, it not that heavy for the tight stuff. It is the perfect bike for the right rider and terrain.

Just my .02

Mine has NEVER boiled on me. On two different rides in Hollister with two different people their 650R's boiled over but mine didn't. The main difference was I have the higher pressure radiator cap and they didn't.

The only time my bike feels really heavy is if I'm hot and tire towards the end of a hard day of riding and have to pick the bike up on a hill.

• huntmaster

Posted October 25, 2005 - 01:37 PM

Does the XR650 feel as heavy as it is? I mean I have ridden heavy bikes before, ( a WR450F) but does this bike feel all that heavy.

The XR carries it's weight pretty well for a big bike in the tight stuff, and has even been favourably compared to earlier WR450's in this regard...but if you are riding those conditions exclusively there are better choices. If you are riding a variety of trails, lots of cross country work, forest roads, etc with some occasional technical single track...the bike is a good choice. Also, the bigger or stronger you are, the less weight becomes an issue and the more the torque and power is appreciated. The bike's reliability, durability and ease of maintenance is something everyone will appreciate however!

• kawirider

Posted October 25, 2005 - 02:43 PM

thx for everybodys replys. you have convinced me, all i have left to do is convince my dad. thanks again everybody

• BWB63

Posted October 25, 2005 - 08:22 PM

Yes, it is heavy! Not as heavy as what us old timers grew up on :banghead: but, compared to the newer stuff they are heavy. It's the right tool for most trail riding and Desert racing. It can do a lot of other stuff if you have what it takes to make it. I can jump mine on the MX track some: VIDEO of XR650R Click Here: :banghead:
But, there are lots of times I can do much better on another bike. But, the BRP is almost bullet proof! Never over heats on me. (Jawbone, Cal. City, Staddard Wells, Soggy dry lake bed, Yucca/29 Palms, Beaumont, Baja) If you are boiling over it's not jetted right or you are not moving.

• J_Daniels

Posted October 25, 2005 - 08:39 PM

I'm a little guy (5'9" 160 lbs), so the big Pig just about killed me in the tight woods (going fast) too many times to mention. That great stability at 90 mph means it isn't real resonsive in the tight stuff. It's great for grunting around in the woods, but pretty Harley-like at the higher speeds unless you are packing some bulk also. It would be a great all-around bike for big or very skilled riders. I bought a CR125 for hauling butt in the woods and track, and the 650R is just killer in the dunes.

• ImpalaR1

Posted October 26, 2005 - 12:48 PM

thanks for everybodys help its been a lot of help. I just have one more question, could I get a XR650R (not 600) for under 3k? thanks for all the help

easily, i got mine for $2800 and i think i spent to much. But i got it Street legal, so i'll prolly sell it for around $3300 or so, for my pain of getting it plated. The only reason i'm going to sell mine soon is because i am starting work again, so i need to buy a new truck and equipment and i'll get a streetbike again for awhile for the highway, but once i get my money back up i'll be getting one again.......

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.