Elevation Change Backfire

4 replies to this topic
  • WReckless

Posted October 24, 2005 - 09:59 AM

Ijust purchased a 2000 wr 400 a few months ago,prev. owner road mostly
in the woods at higher elevation.
Iwent to a race in the desert at lower elevation this weekend and the bike was backfireing at most hard shifts under acell.
I know i need to change the jetting,however i don't know how to tell what
size is in the bike now. If I take the jet out will the counterman at the local
dealer be able to teel me what size it is? If so what direction do i need to go?
I will be riding in higher elevations later this season,but i don't want to damage the carb or engine by running the wrong jet size when i ride desert.
Some of our rides will start on desert floor and ride to the tree line
is there a size that could work for both? :banghead:
I'm sure this subject has been posted before but any help would be great
WReckless

• clark4131

Posted October 24, 2005 - 10:25 AM

The size is stamped on the jet...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dbailey223

Posted October 24, 2005 - 11:40 AM

At higher elevations or warmer temps than the atmospheric conditions for which the bike is properly jetted, you should need to lean it out.

FYI--you mentioned "jet" and not jets--there are a few in the carb plus the needle. So, you may have the swap out more than 1 jet and/or adjust the needle clip position.

• StreetbikePimp

Posted October 24, 2005 - 11:58 AM

Read through the Jetting Database at the top of the forum.

Elevation does effect jetting. Depending on how "high" you climb depends on whether or not you jetting should change.

• WReckless

Posted October 24, 2005 - 02:33 PM

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO GUYS :banghead:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.