cdi units

6 replies to this topic
  • Kermit22

Posted October 24, 2005 - 08:15 AM

Any of you guys had to replace your cdi units and if so what was the symptoms when it failed?

• StreetbikePimp

Posted October 24, 2005 - 11:45 AM

Never a CDI problem with my bike. I did have an ignition coil go bad on me last year.

What's wrong (symptoms) with your bike?

• Kermit22

Posted October 24, 2005 - 01:40 PM

Could feel it start to bog down some in 4th and by the time i shut her down she kept going and died.Wouldn't start at all of course, put my old plug in and it started and made it back to camp but was running crappy on the way there.Tried to restart it at camp but was to no avail, would pop on every kick and the plug , i removed it and checked it for spark and it was there. I've went through the carb and it is good but was going to check wires tonight.
Disconnected the kill switch also and it didn't matter. Any of this sound familiar at all?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clark4131

Posted October 24, 2005 - 02:20 PM

Could be the rectifier/regulator assembly. It's the little silver box with ridges on the left side of the frame near the head tube. Someone else on the board was having the same issues and it turned out to be that part. Here's the link to the discussion...SC

• walent215

Posted October 24, 2005 - 05:14 PM

Could feel it start to bog down some in 4th and by the time i shut her down she kept going and died.Wouldn't start at all of course, put my old plug in and it started and made it back to camp but was running crappy on the way there.Tried to restart it at camp but was to no avail, would pop on every kick and the plug , i removed it and checked it for spark and it was there. I've went through the carb and it is good but was going to check wires tonight.
Disconnected the kill switch also and it didn't matter. Any of this sound familiar at all?

ya the coil went bad on mine and your symptoms sound real close to mine when it happened.

• Kermit22

Posted October 25, 2005 - 08:53 AM

Well thanks for the help guys......got a meter now and tonight i'll start by checking these things out and let you know what i found.

• dez4ever

Posted October 25, 2005 - 09:59 AM

I have an 04' and basically had the same problems as you are describing. I had a friend test the coil/spark plug cab on his ohm meter and the readings fell well outside the specs. I replaced the coil and and she lit off first kick.

Good luck.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.