Yet Another Tire Thread (YATT)

6 replies to this topic
  • Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted October 24, 2005 - 07:41 AM

OK, sorry about starting yet another tire thread, but I used the search and did not find much info on a question I have, so bear with me... :banghead:

With many seeming to get moist, warm, and runny over the Tera-Flex, what is the consensus on a decent front tire to run with such a large-carcassed rear?

Looking for input on a "do-all" setup (street/trail/mud/sand/hardpack/rock), and
am interested in the TF rear, possibly, and looking for a good balance for the front.

Also, any input on other brands/models appreciated, too.

(I have Kenda TM's on the 250R, they seem OK so far. Looking to add meat to the 650.)

• XR650L_Dave

Posted October 24, 2005 - 09:03 AM

MT21 front is good if you run more on the harder surfaces, MT18HD if you're more on the soft.

D

• cheff

Posted October 24, 2005 - 12:34 PM

OK, sorry about starting yet another tire thread, but I used the search and did not find much info on a question I have, so bear with me... :banghead:

With many seeming to get moist, warm, and runny over the Tera-Flex, what is the consensus on a decent front tire to run with such a large-carcassed rear?

Looking for input on a "do-all" setup (street/trail/mud/sand/hardpack/rock), and
am interested in the TF rear, possibly, and looking for a good balance for the front.

Also, any input on other brands/models appreciated, too.

(I have Kenda TM's on the 250R, they seem OK so far. Looking to add meat to the 650.)

I have tried the D606, Michelin Baja and desert, and a Pirelli mt21 I think. And none made a good combo for the TF rear. I love the tire, but it has way to much grip and washed out every front I have tried with it. Of course I have not tried non DOT fronts yet, there should be one that will match the TF for dirt riding at least.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • knuklehead

Posted October 24, 2005 - 04:41 PM

I've all ways thought a 20" would be good to try,so much fatter,ran them on a cr'250 and cr450f with good results, all tho no DOT tire's in a 20"

• Rover31

Posted October 24, 2005 - 05:24 PM

I have tried the D606, Michelin Baja and desert, and a Pirelli mt21 I think. And none made a good combo for the TF rear. I love the tire, but it has way to much grip and washed out every front I have tried with it. Of course I have not tried non DOT fronts yet, there should be one that will match the TF for dirt riding at least.

I have have the dreaded front "washing out on me also, unfortunately it is not a prob. of the tires being miss matched as this is an inherent trait of this bike. I have ridden several bikes with the same tires as on my L on the same surface and don't find the others to be as front heavy. I also have done some serious mods to the susp. which have helped a lot but don't cure!
Travis

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted October 24, 2005 - 05:41 PM

I have have the dreaded front "washing out on me also, unfortunately it is not a prob. of the tires being miss matched as this is an inherent trait of this bike. I have ridden several bikes with the same tires as on my L on the same surface and don't find the others to be as front heavy. I also have done some serious mods to the susp. which have helped a lot but don't cure!
Travis

Perhaps the 650L's tendency to wash out the front end is just a function of its relatively heavy weight; an inertia thing...once it's going in a certain direction, the excess weight tends to retain that direction vs changing direction. The tire's contact patch, especially on the front is pretty small for the weight of the bike.

I am betting you are right on with this being an inherent trait.

But I can deal with this tendency....am just looking for a decent match for the front rim if a Tera-Flex was on the rear. Or a good front/rear combo for trail and some street.

• hill5150

Posted October 24, 2005 - 05:52 PM

I have the Maxxis HT 120/100/18 in the rear and am putting the MAXXIS HT on the front this week. The Maxxis is great, I had the D- 606 initially, crap....... too soft, only installed it to get through the DMV. Rockymountainatv.com is great for pricing fast shipping too. :banghead:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.