Swingarm zerks

2 replies to this topic
  • PapaSmurf

Posted August 21, 2001 - 03:41 PM

I'm gonna tear my '00 WR400 down and do some overdue maintenance and I plan on putting a zerk in the steering head. I was also wondering if anyone has put zerks in the swingarm. I met a guy with a XR400 and he has done both steering and swingarm. If it is possible does anyone have any tips or suggestions? Thanks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jamracing

Posted August 22, 2001 - 08:32 AM

Having zerks on the linkage doesn't mean it will lube it properly. Today's needle bearings are so shallow/thin, the grease would have a hard time getting to all the cavities. Plus, it's good to take it apart to clean the seals from all the sand, and clean out the old grease. You could get away with doing the head bearing zerk, although it seems like a waste of grease. I just take mine apart every 3 months, clean it with mineral spirits or Safety clean, and re-grease it.
Just my .02

------------------
Josh
01' WR426
99' YZ400
87' FZR1000
Uh, like twist the throttle...

• YAMAKAZE

Posted August 23, 2001 - 06:39 AM

Strongly Agree....Zerks can make you lazy in performing maintenance. The downside is finding out about it 60 miles out in the middle of nowhere. Nothing can replace tearing down the bike an visually checking for abnormal wear and deterioration.

Bonzai... :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.