grey wire

12 replies to this topic
  • bobwombat

Posted August 21, 2001 - 03:30 PM

i've posted this before, but am i the ONLY one who did the grey wire mod & didn't really see a difference? i feel my bike is jetted perfectly for my conditions, with no mid-range hesitation at all, but i did the mod anyway. yes, i got the right wire, but no, i haven't felt the diff.....any thoughts? many thx, bobwombat

• John_H

Posted August 21, 2001 - 09:38 PM

might have everything dialed in tooooo perfectly. May have had a mal&%$#@!tion to begin with. Maybe your a whimpie rider and didin't feel a difference..hehehehehe. Haven't done mine yet cause I still kick ass on the other scooters around my neighborhood. Rocks just fine as it is. May need more later on.

John Hamilton

• Dannajoe

Posted August 22, 2001 - 05:00 AM

Yep! I did the mod also on my 2k unit, and did not notice any diff. I rode 54mi in nasty N.W trails leading a nasty pack of riders (some of the time anyway)in 2nd and 3rd 1/2 to 3/4 throttle occasional full on. I expected a slightly improved mid hit, but did'nt notice. She hits hard to begin with, dont know it may have to do with correcting jetting issues. Either way no harm done!

• lewichris

Posted August 22, 2001 - 05:08 AM

It seems to me from all the reading on this site and from this topic that has come up so many times that the people that yz time their wr and cut the wire notice the difference. But if you dont yz time it and cut the wire you wont notice much of a difference. This is not fact but that is what i have gotten from the TT experts. Is there any truth to that. I bought a 98 and it had all the mods done to it. Including the grey wire. But it is still wr timmed. For my style of riding it suits me just fine. But any way how about the question i asked

• slashman

Posted August 22, 2001 - 05:47 AM

yes i am glad to hear that some else has the same thing as mine. not a bit of difference.

slashman

------------------

• MojaveMutt

Posted August 22, 2001 - 06:11 AM

As i posted a month or more ago, i have a well jetted 00 wr that runs very strong. I cut the grey wire and detected little to no difference. My routine riding altitude is 1500 to 5000 ft.

Glenn

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dougie

Posted August 22, 2001 - 06:14 AM

Cut mine and I'm not sure I notice a difference or not. Sometimes I think I do and sometimes I don't. I have a 99 YZ timed. Of course I think I'm not dialed in on the jetting either at the Denver altitude. It runs, very little backfiring, so I am happy enough to leave it alone. I know if I start messing with it again, I'd screw it up.

• bobwombat

Posted August 22, 2001 - 06:44 AM

thx, everyone! glad to see i'm not alone in not noticing any difference w/the grey wire mod w/WR timing. in the end, no harm done for us all & it was an education in the process as always. ride safely....bobwombat

• Ga426owner

Posted August 22, 2001 - 08:47 AM

Grey Wire Mod --- most effect will be noticed on the 2001 WR426/WR250. Mine is also YZ CamTimed.

• neWRiver

Posted August 22, 2001 - 09:39 PM

Night and day on my mostly stock 2001 WR250F (still WR timed - throttle stop cut - airbox lid off - grey wire cut - Vortip insert). I actually cut the wire while still using stock baffle and it felt like a completely different bike.

• mikeolichney

Posted August 22, 2001 - 01:10 PM

My YZ timed WR250F was vastly improved by cutting the grey wire. Anyone would have noticed it. Must be a 250F thing.

• YAMAKAZE

Posted August 23, 2001 - 06:31 AM

My 99WR runs like Bobcat with a hot poker shoved up its butt. No more low end throttle stumble, and Super Mario Hang on Mid-Range Power. I rode Big Blue every weekend for two years without the gray wire mod and was happy with it's performance. With the mod I'm kick'in some serious ass. No jetting changes from stock, no smoke and mirror tricks....Just raw power. I have just about worn out another 756 since the modification. Two tires a year....I think thats an increase.....

Bonzai ... :)

• lewichris

Posted August 23, 2001 - 08:03 AM

Originally posted by YAMAKAZE:
My 99WR runs like Bobcat with a hot poker shoved up its butt. No more low end throttle stumble, and Super Mario Hang on Mid-Range Power. I rode Big Blue every weekend for two years without the gray wire mod and was happy with it's performance. With the mod I'm kick'in some serious ass. No jetting changes from stock, no smoke and mirror tricks....Just raw power. I have just about worn out another 756 since the modification. Two tires a year....I think thats an increase.....

Bonzai ... :)

Is your bike yz timed or wr timmed. Mine screams all the time. I spinnout most the tim through three ans i weigh 250. I dont even know if my wire is cut. i dont see how my bike could get better. Thanks dude :D also have you tried the M12 from micheln. It is a pretty kickass tire. Great intermediate terrain tire

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.