Just Bought an 05 YZ450F

17 replies to this topic
  • JetPilotAlabama

Posted October 23, 2005 - 01:58 PM

Ok I just started ridding MX after 20 years. I have been ridding dirt again for about a year and street bikes for 10 years . I have introduced my son to dirt bikes and started ridding on the local tracks. I had an 96 XR 400 and knew I needed an upgrade so I really did it. Bought a New YZ450F 2005. Rode it a few times and was getting real comfortabel on it until last weekend. I was so comforatable I broke 5 ribs and knocked myself silly while my wife was watching my son and I ride.
Ok now that you have you quit laughing I need to tune it down some until I get used to all that power. The wife has cooled down some and we can keep ridding. HaHa. Liek we would stop anyway.
I need advice for mods. I know I need to do the following:

-Fly wheel weight- for Trail ridding mostly. What size.

-Suspension work. Front and Rear. I weigh 245 right now.

-Skid Plate.

-Possible 1/2 turn throttle ?

-Any other sugestions ?

• muddza

Posted October 23, 2005 - 02:34 PM

I have done the flywheel weight (GYT-R Offroad - heavier of the two) and that has made a heap of difference. I have heard that some people change over to the exhaust cam out of the WR which tames it that little bit more. As for suspension, get in touch with your local suspension shop and they will sort it out for you.

• tnl

Posted October 23, 2005 - 03:05 PM

Look into that device that helps with accidental throttle wacking. It's sold here on the T.T. store. I'm kinda in the same situation as you only I am not looking into reducing power. Do a search on accidental throttle wacking if you're not sure what it is. Good luck trying to find a good suspension company in your area. I moved from North Mississippi recently and know about the lack of stores in that region. Also, invest into some good gear like knee braces, wrist supports and boots.

• KillerMedic

Posted October 23, 2005 - 09:38 PM

Aight "Bama, I am in a similar boat as you. I'm a decent woods rider, newer MX rider, been off all bikes for 3 years (military) and decided I needed an '05 YZ450F!! I have not seriously hurt myself yet, but am progressing in that direction as I think I am able to handle the bike. My biggest complaint is the bike wearing me out after 2 laps due to the power.

First off I went with Enzo in CA for suspension. I am 6'3, 240lbs and before I even rode the bike, I had them do springs, valving and sub tanks for right around $1,000. They got it right the first time. I and everyone who rides my bike is amazed at how well it handles hits from coming up short, landing flat, rough stuff and turns. Even riders who weigh way less than it is sprung for comment on its smoothness on the track and they could ride all day even though it is a bit "Stiff" for them. It rides very "Plush" to quote the overused moniker.

Powerwise, I am looking to choke my Pro Circuit TI-4 exhaust or go to a WR exhaust cam to tame the power. The bike came with the TI-4 and it is lighter than stock so I want to keep it. I added a Dr.D 8oz flywheel and it made a big difference for me. Traction was increased and the power was smoothed a great deal, almost to the point that I may leave the exhaust alone. The power was still there, I still smoked everyone else at the drag strip, but I found myself able to control the bike on jumps with the throttle. Before I was afraid to use it due to almost looping the bike out or nosing in due to the "hit" I could not control. Also with these mods, I can easily be riding a gear high and lugging the motor with power to do as I please and only stalled 2x on 3 days of riding and those were my fault (3rd gear starts thinking I was in 2nd.)

I hope this helps. I am still feeling my way around the bike and trying to choose mods that will help me learn to ride it and easily upgrade to higher power output as I can handle it.

• JetPilotAlabama

Posted October 24, 2005 - 04:32 PM

I have the gear or had it all. When I crashed my Chest protector came apart at all the attach points and my helmet is history. I am really looking forward to calming down the beast some. I have heard of a guy here locally that dose great suspension work.

• JetPilotAlabama

Posted October 24, 2005 - 04:35 PM

Thanks for the information I had just sent you a message asking about all your mods.

• biznet1

Posted October 25, 2005 - 01:39 AM

Ok I just started ridding MX after 20 years. I have been ridding dirt again for about a year and street bikes for 10 years . I have introduced my son to dirt bikes and started ridding on the local tracks. I had an 96 XR 400 and knew I needed an upgrade so I really did it. Bought a New YZ450F 2005. Rode it a few times and was getting real comfortabel on it until last weekend. I was so comforatable I broke 5 ribs and knocked myself silly while my wife was watching my son and I ride.
Ok now that you have you quit laughing I need to tune it down some until I get used to all that power. The wife has cooled down some and we can keep ridding. HaHa. Liek we would stop anyway.
I need advice for mods. I know I need to do the following:

-Fly wheel weight- for Trail ridding mostly. What size.

-Suspension work. Front and Rear. I weigh 245 right now.

-Skid Plate.

-Possible 1/2 turn throttle ?

-Any other sugestions ?

Where in bama?

• ncmountainman

Posted October 25, 2005 - 04:17 AM

a +6 or 8 works great for woods,i'd lean towards the 6 if you do alot of mx. suspension is key,any reputable tuner can hook you up if you explain what you expect from your bike. as far as the 1/2 throttle,forgive me if i'm wrong but doesn't that speed up throttle response? maybe a wr throttle stop that could be filed to 3/4 throttle until you can better control the power. i run a works connection glide plate and have had it on 2 bikes now,it doesn't really protect the side cases well though :banghead: i wouldn't put the wr cam in that bike as it needs the higher rpm's to gap between gears with the CR trannie,a wr cam would fall short i believe. try to increase your bottom end power;power now,powerbomb header,boyesen quickshot,FWW,etc. :banghead:

• CRFThumper

Posted October 25, 2005 - 04:21 AM

I have the gear or had it all. When I crashed my Chest protector came apart at all the attach points and my helmet is history. I am really looking forward to calming down the beast some. I have heard of a guy here locally that dose great suspension work.

Fast lap?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ray450

Posted October 25, 2005 - 09:23 AM

Whats the hurry? The 05 is a great bike stock. You can't go wrong spending a $100 on a flywheel weight, I'd suggest the heavy GYT-r for you, or the heavy DR D, since you could then go to the 6 oz down the road if you decide to just stick to M/X. Put on a good o-ring, set the sag, and then just get used to the bike and riding again. Play with the clickers and try to get a feel for what the stock suspension can do for you on the track and the trail. A 1/2 turn throttle? You gota be kidding me, uh no, and whoever suggested it, don't take ANY advice from them, ever. If you decide to start racing M/X, you will likely want to get heavier springs. I'd still hold off on the revalve until you tried the springs first (The Race Tech site has a spring calculator). Right now, time on the bike is a lot more important than mods. You may also find that you lean to M/X or off-road more in a few months, which would mean a lot if you do get the suspension redone.

• JetPilotAlabama

Posted October 25, 2005 - 12:56 PM

Birmingham
South near Chelsea.

• JetPilotAlabama

Posted October 25, 2005 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for the advice. I know I need to do something with the spring rates on the stock bike as I am 245 verses 170 that it is set to. I used to ride enduros and hare scambles in the late 70's early 80's and had a throttle that wasnt a 1/4 turn like the bike has now. I know the most important thing is seat time and as soon as my ribs heal I will be ridding again. I am going to order the GYT fly wheel next week and check out replacing the springs in the front and rear suspension.

• biznet1

Posted October 25, 2005 - 01:22 PM

Birmingham
South near Chelsea.

I'm from Jacksonville. We have a local practice track in Munford with a sprinkler system http://hometown.aol.com/chriscrossmx/ if you ever want to come ride. Kentuck is a great place to ride too, if you've never been there.

• Ray450

Posted October 25, 2005 - 03:02 PM

Thanks for the advice. I know I need to do something with the spring rates on the stock bike as I am 245 verses 170 that it is set to. I used to ride enduros and hare scambles in the late 70's early 80's and had a throttle that wasnt a 1/4 turn like the bike has now. I know the most important thing is seat time and as soon as my ribs heal I will be ridding again. I am going to order the GYT fly wheel next week and check out replacing the springs in the front and rear suspension.

The bike is actually sprung very well for up to about 200 pounds, the forks even higher if ridden just off road. I'm about 195#, and the static sag is about perfect after setting rider sag. Again, if you ride mostly trails, I'd suggest leaving it alone for awhile, however, if you are doing much moto, it wouldn't hurt or cost a lot to simply respring. For 245# Race Tech suggests .48 or .49s (mixture M/X and trails) which isn't drastically higher than the stock .46s. Unlike 20 years ago, bikes come sprung fairly aggressively now (20 years ago we were buying heavier springs in the .38-.40 range for 250s, which weighed roughly the same as our 450s do now). I actually ran softer springs in my 03 450. My 05 is plusher, turns a bit better, so going softer up front wouldn't help me now. R/T suggests a 5.8 rear. This would be the most noticeable, but probably not how you think. It will feel softer, but won't blow through the travel on the real big hits. To get the right preload on the stock spring, you will need to put in so much preload, you probably won't have any static sag left making the bike a little to stiff initially.
As far as the throttle goes, I assumed you were talking about some gizmo to make the current throttle do the same thing but in 1/2 the twist (scary). Sorry my bad. Still, there is no need to change the throttle.

Well, I gota go get my bike ready for the Worcs/Toro race this weekend!

• JetPilotAlabama

Posted October 25, 2005 - 06:20 PM

I didnt mean only using 1/2 power I ment turn the grip 1/2 way instead of 1/4 turn like it is now. Just more contolability for a while.

• JetPilotAlabama

Posted October 25, 2005 - 06:22 PM

I have not been to Kentuck yet. I have been ridding at Mill Creek and Tripple T. They are both about 30 minutes from my house and both MX tracks. The Ridge is open also in Springville with both trails and a track.

• elsinoredaze

Posted November 03, 2005 - 11:14 PM

Jetpilot-
My situation is almost identical to yours.I started my little one on a pw 50(with training wheels) and my training wheels were a KDX 200.Bought him a KTM 50 last year and I bought an 05 YZ 450f.My problem with the throttle/power is I have to wrench my wrist to find it... which makes me feel unbalanced while standing or jumping.The 05 450 is much tamer than in years past... what I do on unfamilar tracks or when I'm just not comfortable is upshift a gear.

Anyway what I really wanted to say is do yourself a favor...change that rear spring.Don't listen to the 175 lb parts manager or service tech.I will almost guarantee you they will try to talk you out of the spring that you need.(which is probably around 6.2)I went in to order a racetech 6.0 rear spring(because that is what racetech recommended) and the parts manager said it was way to stiff (I'm 260 lbs)I relented and ordered the 5.8.

LUCKILY the wrong front springs arrived and I returned the front and BACK after talking to shockdoc who informed me the rear was way to soft(thanks a million shockdoc!!!)Much to the part managers shagrin... I ordered the 6.4 and sure enough...spot on.Static sag is 25mm and race sag is 105mm.Perfect!!And wow what a difference... I cannot believe I paid $6,000.00 for a bike and rode it a year with suspension set up for someone 175 lbs.If you do what I did you will be kicking yourself down the road.

Good Luck

• JetPilotAlabama

Posted November 09, 2005 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for all the Help and information guys. I just ordered a GYT heavy fly wheel today and got a IMS 3.1 Tank thanks to one of the members who had an extra to sell, Thanks Greg. I am healing slowly from my crash but rode her around the yard yesterday. I am really looking forward to ridding the tamed beast one I am healed up.

Thanks again.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.