Yz 426?

4 replies to this topic
  • projected

Posted October 23, 2005 - 11:57 AM

My neighbor has a 2001 YZ426 that he is going to trade on a street bike in the next few days. The bike has hardly ever been ridden.

I'm wondering how these bikes work for the following (I'm in CO):

- Enduro/HS racing
- Trail riding
- Dual Sport conversion.

How about reliability or common problems?

Thanks for any info, I wasn't planning on purchasing a bike this old but the price is really low (I wanted an '06 something for next season).

Thanks.

• ISBB

Posted October 23, 2005 - 12:33 PM

find a wr...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • exIT

Posted October 23, 2005 - 05:30 PM

Buy it. A 426 makes a great all around bike. I trail ride mine exclusively in both the desert and forests. The last ride I was on was up in the forest on great technical single track and of the five bikes, three were YZF's, one was a RMZ, and one was a WR450. The WR rider wasn't so sure that he had the best bike for the conditions as his was the heaviest. I have made some mods to my bike to make it even better as a trail bike but I am certain that I don't want a WR.

• yz_for_me

Posted October 23, 2005 - 08:49 PM

If it's a good deal I wouldn't hesitate for a second to pick up a 426 in good shape. The 426 is an extremely versatile bike. It can easily work for HS, trails and dual sport. In fact, the 426's versatility is one of it's best traits. One of it's other good traits is it's reliability. All of the Yamaha thumpers, including the 426, are easily the most reliable of all the high performance thumpers. The '01 and the '02 are the best years for the 426. Yamaha pretty well had all the bugs worked out by then, so there really aren't any major snafu's to worry about.

By the way, where you at in Colorado. I used to live in Fort Collins. Used to ride Berthoud, Miliken and a lot of the local trails there all the time.

• projected

Posted October 24, 2005 - 10:31 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going to try and get a ride on the bike this week to see how it feels to me. I'll make my decision after that.

By the way, where you at in Colorado. I used to live in Fort Collins. Used to ride Berthoud, Miliken and a lot of the local trails there all the time.

I'm in Littleton CO, my woman went to CSU so I used to spend a lot of time up there. I drove through MT earlier this year on my way to AK, I'm sure there is some awesome riding in MT.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.