what2buy & yz400 gearbox

No replies to this topic
  • nks

Posted October 23, 2005 - 12:27 AM

hi; firstly i finally got my loan approved for my bike; :banghead: (about time) and now i'm in search of my next beast, (after destorying my 88XR250 ) :banghead:

anyway i am able to buy a yz400f for about 2200-2500 AUD but it has a gearbox problem, third is blown. the cost of a new gearbox apparently is $1000 AUD and i'm guessing labour would be about 5 hours to get it put in. so this puts the price up to around $4000 AUD, which is about the norm for here in aust, between 4000-4500 is what is usual for the yz400 and the 426 spands from $4500 to $6000,

now my questions are:

are there any deformities with the 400? as in any things or problems that occur frequently or hazards to look out for? i know the bike has been well looked after and hardly ridden, which then i think why did 3rd blow, was this a defect from yamaha?

next: if only 3rd is blown can i replace just third or do i have to get a whole new gearbox. apparently some bolt came loose in the gearbox and destroyed third only. so if i can avoid replacing the whole gearbox i would and save the rest of the money

finally: should i fork out the extra $500 and get an 00yz426 or altogether forget the four strokes and stick with a 99-01 2-pinger and spend $3800-4000 AUD (if i did that i would only consider the CR, as i have already fallen in love with them, handling and power is beautiful and nothing else compares)

i generally ride a worked 99YZ250 which is great but wears me out to quickly, in all types of terrain and conditions, i have never ridden the new generation four strokes but would expect i'd fall in love, as i have always ridden four strokes just none of the new powerful ones, and i miss decompression so much when i ride a 2-pinger

EDIT- also would a yz400 keep up with a 00ish 250 2 stroke, as in are they similar in power? not as in power curve or power delivery just plain HP power...
i know most 250's are around the 44HP mark the 426 is a little higher but haven't seen anything on the 400's

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.