too much oil

7 replies to this topic
  • skwerlee

Posted October 22, 2005 - 07:38 PM

i just did an oil & filter change on my 2000 yz426f...my buddy that i bought the bike from told me it holds two quarts, so thats how much i added. According to what I've read here it seems i may have added too much oil. will this damage anything? I've only ran it for a couple of minutes just to cycle the oil to check the level. any input would be appreciated.

• ThrakenH04

Posted October 22, 2005 - 08:24 PM

way too much, try 1.2quarts with oil filter. And yes it does do something, ever heard of rings going bad? this would be one of the reasons why. plus it puts strain on certain parts too.

• grayracer513

Posted October 22, 2005 - 08:27 PM

At that amount of oil, a 426 will start forcing the excess back into the engine through the line that balances pressure between the tank and the cam box. It would be best to drain off 250cc or so at the frame drain plug. Bear in mind, it won't take long.

• skwerlee

Posted October 22, 2005 - 10:44 PM

yeah i figured i would need to drain it so that it's at the correct level. i just want to know if running it easily for the 3 or 4 minutes that i allready did is enough to cause damage?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • joe_power

Posted October 23, 2005 - 03:09 AM

At that amount of oil, a 426 will start forcing the excess back into the engine through the line that balances pressure between the tank and the cam box. It would be best to drain off 250cc or so at the frame drain plug. Bear in mind, it won't take long.

Also it will increase the pressure in the lower half of the engine, thus forcing oil past the oil seals , making a fine mess

Make bad rings? no .it will carbon up your top end real quick

• sirthumpalot

Posted October 23, 2005 - 03:28 AM

OK I'm going from memory here.. 1.5L without filter change, 1.6L with filter change on the 426. At 2-qt you're over filled, but not by a huge amount. I wouldn't ride the track with that much oil, but you didn't hurt anything running it for a few minutes.

• Satch0922

Posted October 23, 2005 - 05:38 AM

Total oil quantity: 1.7L or 1.8 US qt

Periodic oil change : 1.5L or 1.59 US qt

With oil filter change/cleaning : 1.6L or 1.69 US qt

• skwerlee

Posted October 23, 2005 - 08:31 AM

cool, thanks for the info. i'm just glad that i didn't mess anything up.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.