Video: 3 mile wheelie on a YZ426F

53 replies to this topic
  • kizzle426

Posted October 23, 2005 - 12:38 PM

The bike won't starve for oil. My buddy rode a wheelie on his yz450 for at least a couple of minutes to test that theory. It was pretty impressive. He was in 4th gear high rpm most of the way.

• tnl

Posted October 23, 2005 - 03:15 PM

I'd like to know how he got back to where he started? Didn't look like there were many trails off of where he exited the freeway?

• phat_450f

Posted October 23, 2005 - 03:23 PM

who care's about the oil (no offense) that is one badd azz wheelie.....And yeah if i tried that where I live i would have gotten a ticket and bike loss after the first 50 yards....

• SIEKMANN

Posted October 23, 2005 - 04:53 PM

not bad...def. should at least have boots on

• thesal

Posted October 23, 2005 - 05:00 PM

thats friggen awsome :banghead: !
who said that YZs/ WRs are not good for highway use!!

• skwerlee

Posted October 23, 2005 - 05:57 PM

well Willie isn't very big on safety gear. he stunt his gsxr in parking lots with no helmet on a regular basis.

• Guest_Joe Schmo_*

Posted October 24, 2005 - 02:48 AM

I wonder why people think dirtbikers are a bunch of idiots and are closing our riding areas. :banghead: Sorry guys as impressive as that was I found it totally irresponsible and a poor example to younger riders who will likely try to duplicate this stunt because buddy impressed them. My .02

Riding areas are closed because of noise and the way dirtbikers conduct themselves in front of bushwalkers, horse riders etc... not because of a d!ckhead doing a wheelie down a freeway. :banghead:

• Daz_426_02

Posted October 24, 2005 - 06:07 AM

Who cares what he is wearing or what he is doing on a public freeway. If he flipped he would be the only one us us wearing HIS road-rash...

Lets just appreciate the wheelie for what it is and stop looking for stuff to complain about...

AWESOME wheelie Man !!! :busted: :banghead::banghead: :lol::busted: :busted:

• Hare

Posted October 24, 2005 - 07:01 AM

That is a sweet video.

shame it was done on a hwy and not in a empty business park or backroad someplace. Yanking a wheel for some kids is one thing but...

Some bikes will starve for oil on extended wheelies, it depends where the oil pickup tube is located. KTM had a note warning of this in their service manual when the 520s first came out, not sure if its still applies, i know many that wheelie that bike with no apparent effects.

My XR628 doesn't mind long wheelies at all

• grayracer513

Posted October 24, 2005 - 08:18 AM

I've heard that if you ride a wheelie long enough you will starve the engine of oil. Is there any credence to this?

Not on a YZF. Some road bikes have a problem with that (Ducati revised the sump of the 996 to correct that), but the YZF's are dry sump.

The only thing that the pickup screen in the crankcase does is slurp up the oil draining off from the various lube points and send it back to the tank as fast as it can. The oil that feeds things comes from the bottom of the frame down tube, and oil flow to that point even if the bike is completely vertical. Furthermore, only about 300cc actually has to be present in the tank to be certain of uninterrupted oil flow in the feed circuit, so the return pump could fail to pick up a whole quart before things got sketchy. The way the cases are laid out internally, that would be nearly impossible.

Besides, like the man said, it's a dirt bike. It was intended for stuff like hill climbs and wheelies from the get go. :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LJ

Posted October 24, 2005 - 12:41 PM

Sorry guys, but I think the guy is an idiot.

It's guys like this that give dirt bikers a bad name. Okay, cool, he can ride a wheelie, but to do it on a freeway is just plain irresponsible. I've seen idiots like this wheelying thier gsxr in traffic, and then lose it and have the bike flip over the the divider and hit a car head on. You think the guy who was hit by the bike was impressed by this? Tell that to his wife and kids expecting him to come home after work. Oh, by the way, thanks for the increase in insurance rates I have to pay for my CBR600 jerk.

• sunhester

Posted October 24, 2005 - 12:55 PM

Sorry guys, but I think the guy is an idiot.

It's guys like this that give dirt bikers a bad name. Okay, cool, he can ride a wheelie, but to do it on a freeway is just plain irresponsible. I've seen idiots like this wheelying thier gsxr in traffic, and then lose it and have the bike flip over the the divider and hit a car head on. You think the guy who was hit by the bike was impressed by this? Tell that to his wife and kids expecting him to come home after work. Oh, by the way, thanks for the increase in insurance rates I have to pay for my CBR600 jerk.

Awww, I really miss the days when me and my friends were out getting rowdy on our streetbikes. Before they got popular and I had to listen to the do gooders chime in, average joe whine about me going to fast or some crap like that.

Sorry dude but I'm old skool. Bikes are an expression of one's personal freedom and ****in' around is part of that for me. I guarantee that all 90% of the auto drivers talked about was that wheelie as soon as they got home. No harm, no foul.

Sweet vid.

• LJ

Posted October 24, 2005 - 02:59 PM

Yep, I'm all about freedom too. To ride my dirt bike on public land, to ride my 165 hp Ninja, to drive my 450 hp '69 camaro. I really enjoy these things, and I enjoy them within the bounds of the law, and society accepts that..."no harm, no foul".

Now have some pimple face punk with more guts than brains who feels necassary to show off what a man he his to his friends by doing stupid stunts on public streets where they can endanger innocent people who just care about getting home to his/her family, that's not no harm, no foul. Anything can happen when you ride at the limits on the street.

It's the average joe who has to pay for in increased insurance premiums who gets skrewed. It's these same insurance companies who want to regulate what kind of street bike you can by. They would prefer you to ride 8 hp mopeds wearing full body nerf suits so you couldn't possibly hurt yourself and sue somebody else for your own stupidity. It's because of these idiots that our society is moving towards the nanny state where everything that is fun will be regulated and eventually made illegal. Good people fight this everyday (AMA and Blue Ribbon Coalition), and acting like this on the street does nothing to help them.

Old school is being responsible for your actions.

• goodluckmonkey

Posted October 24, 2005 - 03:10 PM

What's the point in having a 450hp car if you do not exceed the speed limit??

Why not drive a smaller capacity car and save the environment a little?

• LJ

Posted October 24, 2005 - 03:22 PM

Drag strips and road courses. Plus, there is now law on how fast you accelerate, just as long as you don't break taction or show any kind of exhibition of speed. Last I checked there is no acceleration limits like speed limits. By the way, I'm not saying I drive 65 mph everyday, not by a long shot. It's all about using good judgement and not putting innocent people in danger. I'd never do a 100 foot burn out in nieghborhood where kids play. I did when I was younger, ended up on someone's lawn. I consider myself lucky that I didn't hurt anybody and never did it again.

I don't drive it everyday, it's a toy. It would not be economical to drive it everyday. I have a toyota camry that gets 24 to 26 mpg that I commute to work. I won't drive a smaller car because I drive a narrow twisty road up and down a mountain everyday to get to work.

• goodluckmonkey

Posted October 25, 2005 - 03:12 AM

Just playing with ya. I drive like an old woman, despite having raced cars a few years back, but I ride like a man possessed.

As stated in the very first post on this thread, the location is damn irresponsible, as is the complete lack of gear. There’s a time and a place for doing stuff like that. I do some wheelies on the road, but choose my location a little more wisely.

I posted the vid because the display of riding talent is very good.

Different people have different opinions of what’s acceptable, I for one would never do that.
I mean – I would never be caught riding a stock bike. :banghead:

• danyz450

Posted October 25, 2005 - 02:00 PM

You can have a high HP car that gets good milage. Just don't mash it.......

I get 22-25 ish and can drive it every day, but choose not too.... I just like to keep the miles down. :banghead:

• darksun27

Posted October 25, 2005 - 02:10 PM

i wish i had the room to pull off something like that. by the way its easy to long wheelie on a 426. but try doing it around corners on backroads thats where you truely show skill. well i dont guess i can say much though he has beat my record for auctual length. the farthest ive rode one is a mile and thats just because i ran out of road. :banghead: :banghead: to him neways it was still a awesome vid :lol:

• crfmatt

Posted October 25, 2005 - 07:09 PM

When I did a whllie on a highway last night I actually saw a cop!!! And he turned on his lights so I took off and went into some neighborhoods and then came to a dead end but I kept going through the bushes and finally set it down and hid for 30 minutes and then went home only to find out he caught the kids I was with and was going to give them a ticket unless they give him my name..So they did and the cop went to my house while I was still gone but my dad talked them out of the ticket..Although now I cant ride trails..Only tracks or drive out places and I cant drive till the end of next summer so I may end up selling thebike..

• darksun27

Posted October 25, 2005 - 07:42 PM

dude that sucks

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.