Is too much OK

8 replies to this topic
  • blooozboy

Posted October 22, 2005 - 06:49 AM

I have too much oil in my WR426 it is over max mark is this a problem??

• clark4131

Posted October 22, 2005 - 08:23 AM

Yep, drain it back down to within the operating range. Better safe than sorry...SC

• minion

Posted October 22, 2005 - 09:20 AM

I have too much oil in my WR426 it is over max mark is this a problem??

The reason too much is bad, is because the gears, etc in the oil are supposed to just slightly dip in the oil. Having extra oil in there submerges some parts which are not supposed to be submerged, and when they move, it creates a greater tendency for the oil to foam up. If the oil foams, it doesn't do a very good job of lubricating the parts. Thats one reason why you'll see some oil manufacturers say low-foam formula on their bottles.

M.

• FTD

Posted October 22, 2005 - 10:48 AM

From the amount of oil mine blows onto the skid plate... I would think it would blow out any minimal excess. :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • blooozboy

Posted October 22, 2005 - 01:21 PM

Cheers boys I will drain a little out wouldnt want foamy gears

• byggd

Posted October 23, 2005 - 03:53 AM

The reason too much is bad, is because the gears, etc in the oil are supposed to just slightly dip in the oil. Having extra oil in there submerges some parts which are not supposed to be submerged, and when they move, it creates a greater tendency for the oil to foam up. If the oil foams, it doesn't do a very good job of lubricating the parts. Thats one reason why you'll see some oil manufacturers say low-foam formula on their bottles.

M.

I thought the wr had a dry sump system :banghead:

• 5valve

Posted October 23, 2005 - 04:18 AM

dry sump it is...no gears overflooding can occur

if too much oil, it should spurt out through the breather tube, but its a mess, till level corrects itself

if you go for manual drain, be sure to warm up the bike completely, so that the correct level is shown on the stick - you dont want to suck out too much

• minion

Posted October 23, 2005 - 08:32 AM

dry sump it is...no gears overflooding can occur

if too much oil, it should spurt out through the breather tube, but its a mess, till level corrects itself

if you go for manual drain, be sure to warm up the bike completely, so that the correct level is shown on the stick - you dont want to suck out too much

I didn't even think about the dry-sump setup. Woops. :banghead:

I'm used to those "other" bikes that don't have dry sumps. :banghead:

M.

• blooozboy

Posted October 23, 2005 - 02:55 PM

Thanks,Level over top of max but no leakage.
To check I warmed up bike for a few mins then turned her off left her a minute and then dipped without screwing in dip stick and it read over top mark.
I have riden since and there does not seem to be any leakage anywhere.MAYBE I DID IT WRONG.
What do I do now "To drain or not to drain that is the question"

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.