03' yz450 vs. newer models

4 replies to this topic
  • djo269

Posted October 21, 2005 - 11:31 PM

Has anyone rode an 03' & a newer model to give an actual personal experience comparison? What are your thoughts about them? thanks

• SureBlue

Posted October 22, 2005 - 03:02 AM

I have ridden all current 450 models.
03 is hard hitting, and if you like it then good. But I would put a heavier flywheel weight on it. The only other difference is mainly in the suspension. The forks are 46 mm and need to be revalved.
04 is a bit mellower and has better 48 mm forks, but they need some job on them too.
05 has again somewhat lesser hit and much better suspension. Then again, some riders prefer still to revalve them for more plushness and better bottoming resistance. But when 05 came out, the forks were praised.
Now 06 suspension seems to be almost state-of-art. Have no experience of 06-Yamaha suspension though. In general, the 06 will be a totally new bike, it is said only wheels are the same :banghead:

I can not think of other serious differences between 03-05. Perhaps some SS clutch cables and titanium pegs but nothing dramatic, not to mention BNG :banghead:
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • walent215

Posted October 22, 2005 - 05:01 AM

03 has way more down low than the 05.the suspension is mucho better than the 03 as i have nt done anything with mine except put a heavier spring on it .i like the hard hit of the 03 but alot of people dont .

• djo269

Posted October 22, 2005 - 03:32 PM

BNG? what is that?
I have the 03' yz450, so was just wonderin'.\

• INJURY_69

Posted October 22, 2005 - 04:03 PM

BNG = Bold New Graphics

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.