Hard starting! Help!!

3 replies to this topic
  • solaidrider667

Posted October 21, 2005 - 08:15 PM

Ok my Yamaha Gods-- I have a 2000 yz 426 , has been running great, lately when starting for first ride I must push start it. (yes very hard)
I have ridden it very hard last two years on supermoto tracks- oil changed every race weekend(Motul 10/40 full synthetic) air filter etc. By the way this bike has taken a 245lb rider to a 2nd in points Starrs Supertt class and current 2nd place in points. The only track it lacks power is Willow Springs.
I have not checked the valves(ever) BAD BAD ME!! I am also curious about a key that comes loose on the crank? I am considering a big bore kit and hot cams.. what about the bottom end? Thanks in anticipation for your help.
:banghead: :banghead: :lol: :busted:

• Yak

Posted October 21, 2005 - 08:52 PM

First things first....

Change your plug... NGK CR8E

A fouled plug will make starting hard every time, sometimes even impossible.

if not that...

Time to check the valves. Actually, time to check the valves anyway. Just do it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FlashGordon

Posted October 21, 2005 - 09:03 PM

Check your valves. If they are OK, clean the carb, and consider richening the pilot jet, or turn the fuel screw on the bottom/front of the carb bowl out a couple turns. I found that going up one pilot jet size made a world of difference in starting, and eliminates the popping on de-acceleration. My 400 will start on 2-4 kicks when cold, and 1st kick every time when hot. It was a killer with a stock pilot.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted October 22, 2005 - 05:18 AM

You have tight valves. That is what is causing your hard starting. Check the valves.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.