Quick release Fender packs, DIY, picture tutorial

36 replies to this topic
  • moach1

Posted October 26, 2005 - 08:35 PM

arin, which bag did you use from dirt bike gear?

• ARin

Posted October 26, 2005 - 08:37 PM

8x5x3 cordura bag shown here.
http://www.dirt-bike...rdura_bags.html

If i were doing it all over again...i would get one of the longer cordura bags. My tire irons barely fit lengthwise, and i am afraid they will wear holes in the bag over time.

• ARin

Posted October 30, 2005 - 10:08 PM

Ok, quick update, the REAR of the plastic insert on my fender bag has cracked where the clevis pins pass through it. The plastic inside of the cordura bag is pretty thin and brittle. I will need to add some nylon washers there, for strength.

Also, the person that expressed the concern about the epoxy holding up was right on. The epoxy holds the washers to the clevis pins very well, but did NOT bond to the plastic panels well at all. The plastic flexes, the epoxy doesnt...so it seperates, and chips away.

This has not effected the strength of the setup, it has held up very well....and the packs stay put....BUT when you want to remove the packs, you have to pop the clevis pins out also...because the epoxy wont hold them in. no biggie. Looks cleaner anyhow without the pins sticking out of the bike.

Also, yesterday through an extended section of pretty horrid whoops, i only felt the pack pat me on heine once or twice...nothing that effected my riding.

• Bamster

Posted October 31, 2005 - 06:29 AM

I will second that..... let the bike do as much of the work as possible. Carrying weight on your body does tire you out. I have done 10-day camping trips on my KLR 650.... I found it more comfortable to get my back-pack off and onto the bike. Just my 2 cents.

I don't think there is anything you can do with a KLR 650 to make it comfortable when riding offroad. Just my 2 cents.

• Bamster

Posted October 31, 2005 - 06:32 AM

Also, yesterday through an extended section of pretty horrid whoops, i only felt the pack pat me on heine once or twice...nothing that effected my riding.

Your not riding hard enough. :banghead:

• jwriott

Posted October 31, 2005 - 07:28 AM

Just out of curiousity, how does your front numberplate look after a ride? I'd assume the pack is beating it to death.

I like the quick change idea for the rear. I carry all my tools back there now and use Nylock nuts/bolts/washers so I don't loose the pack. It would be nice to be able to get it off the bike quicker.

If you only have minimal tools to carry, the MSR Roost Pak that mounts to the front of the chest protector works great. I used to carry everything there but it's where my helmet cam now resides.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted October 31, 2005 - 07:38 AM

AR, nice job my friend...

I'm with Bamster here... I have had fenderbags before but they act like a blender to the contents inside the bag. It seems no matter how tight I pack the bags everything inside comes loose and starts to rattle around.. But, I like fenderbags for tubes and patches, everything else goes in my fanny pack..

Excellent job....

• Bamster

Posted October 31, 2005 - 08:34 AM

A friend of mine has this setup , says it's pretty light and dosn't hinder his riding at all. He has found himself checking to see if it's still there.

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ARin

Posted October 31, 2005 - 09:23 AM

All of my tools are in an inner bag, and wrapped tightly with velcro tie straps.

All of the tools look like they did when i bought them. No rattling.

Also, my headlight shroud looks fantastic. The moose pack is a semi rigid ordeal...and the clevis pins hold it very tight, it does NOT move at ALL on the headlight shroud.

• cruezer

Posted October 11, 2008 - 06:03 PM

Very Nice. I have one question. How do the clevis pins stay in the fender if you ride with out the bag in place? Do you leave in the clips and if so do they
get in the way?

• scott_01_xr400

Posted July 01, 2009 - 07:01 PM

nice job

• tcmII

Posted July 05, 2009 - 05:13 PM

Have you considered a Dzus fastener. There are a varity of females that can be pushed into a hole as an insert or have flanges to screw to the sub-straight (fender in this case). Then you can pick from a varity of males with low profile large diameter heads.

With this method you could use a low profile male to plug the hole and give a smooth(er) surface for when the bag is not attached.

• rkwfxd1

Posted July 05, 2009 - 08:39 PM

This is a great idea. I need to add these types of packs to all of the family bikes and fill them with bikes specific parts like clutch and brake levers etc....

However, I carry all of my "stuff" in my Camelbak. I have some basic tools, TP, power bar, matches, and first aid supplies. I never notice the pack when I am riding and it has become a piece of safety gear for me like my helmet. If I am out riding and then want to go for a jeep ride, the Camelbak comes with me. If I get a chance to ride someone else's bike, the Camelbak comes with me. I have used my tools and supplies too many times to help my family, friends, and strangers that I don't feel comfortable leaving camp without it.

• wr450mazz

Posted July 06, 2009 - 01:29 AM

I carried a 3lt camelbak with a small type of shaving bag with minor tools inside...eg plug,spanners,screwdriver..etc etc until i came off and landed on my back.
Even with body amour on,i felt the impact of the tool kit to the side of back...almost like a huge kidney punch that winded me so bad.
2 months on and i can still feel where the impact was.
Water and ONLY soft things on my back from now on.
I thought i had more protection carrying stuff in there,infact it was the opposite and will be letting the bike carry the weight from now on.

• rkwfxd1

Posted July 06, 2009 - 02:19 PM

I carried a 3lt camelbak with a small type of shaving bag with minor tools inside...eg plug,spanners,screwdriver..etc etc until i came off and landed on my back.
Even with body amour on,i felt the impact of the tool kit to the side of back...almost like a huge kidney punch that winded me so bad.
2 months on and i can still feel where the impact was.
Water and ONLY soft things on my back from now on.
I thought i had more protection carrying stuff in there,infact it was the opposite and will be letting the bike carry the weight from now on.

Interesting. I had just the opposite experience. I fell hard on my back, knocked the wind out of me, the my first thought was how glad I was that I had my camelbak on. I never felt the tools I carry and thought the water helped to cushion the blow.

• 2in2out

Posted July 06, 2009 - 02:44 PM

I would be interested to know if strong magnets would work. A magnet on the inside of the bag (This would keep irons from rattling), and a magnet under the fender. Similar to a tank bag for street bikes.

Maybe I'll experiment with this.

• wr450mazz

Posted July 07, 2009 - 12:51 AM

rkwfxd1....i landed on the top of a deep rut so it must have been a direct hit on that spot.Maybe if it was a flatter surface it might have been better.

It does make me think sometimes of those accidents that aren't much that do the most damage,like a screwdriver in the camelbak piercing through.

As heavy as my WR450 is to pick up and i weigh about 180lbs with gear,i'll let the bike do the work.

cheers....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.