Bad gas?

5 replies to this topic
  • Vail yz4

Posted October 21, 2005 - 03:45 PM

About to go riding this weekend after taking a weekend off. Left my plastic self venting gas can (one of those blitz 4 dollar Wal Mart ones) outside on the deck for those two weeks, a period in which it was mostly rainy/snowy and below freezing several nights. Would you guys pitch the gas or use it? And if pitch it, any idea where I can get rid of two gallons of bad gas?

• MNellis

Posted October 21, 2005 - 06:34 PM

Water will settle to the bottom of the can. One of the pre-flight things we do when flying our little airplanes is to drain the sumps of any water with a tap on the bottom of the tank.

I would pour the fuel out slowly and and use all but the bottom 1/8th or so of the can. If you are concerned about the fuel then just dump it in the car and get some new stuff for the bike.

• 97chevy

Posted October 21, 2005 - 06:55 PM

I would just dump it into your car and get new stuff. It could save you some frustration later.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • phat_450f

Posted October 21, 2005 - 11:01 PM

or even better yet maybe your lawn mower. or since you have snow your car will be fine...

• BergArabia

Posted October 22, 2005 - 02:33 AM

I always drain my bike tank if it has been sitting for a week or so. The carb too.
I put that gas in the car and put the some new stuff in the bike..

• SureBlue

Posted October 22, 2005 - 02:43 AM

...and you will always need some gas for washing purposes like cleaning the linkage, swingarm or steering bearings before regreasing them. Whatever you do, don't just pitch it. :banghead:

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.