where does that whiff of antifreeze come from?

6 replies to this topic
  • Zapp22

Posted October 21, 2005 - 06:59 AM

gang
01 BRP... where does the smell of antifreeze come from? I"m not losing much... takes a long time to hit a point where I need to add... no obvious drip, but I always smell it.

This is the ONLY thing the BRP has in common with my little DRZ400E....[well, and they both have two laced wheels]

thx
z

• JackAttack

Posted October 21, 2005 - 07:36 AM

If your bike is not uncorked, it is going to run hot.

It takes very little coolant overflow to make a big stink. It probably goes into your overflow tank, whiff, and then gets sucked back into the rads when the bike cools.

:banghead:

• Zapp22

Posted October 21, 2005 - 06:06 PM

nope, I'm talking about cold start, first fireup on an UNcorked bike
z

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cholwerk

Posted October 21, 2005 - 09:09 PM

Leaking Head Gasket.

• J_Daniels

Posted October 21, 2005 - 09:36 PM

There is a dye you can buy from the auto parts store, leaks show up under a black light. It would certainly be worth a try if you can't find the cause by wetness or residue build up.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted October 22, 2005 - 05:50 AM

I suppose you have dealt with the obvious. Tightened all your hose clamps made sure the thermostat housing isn't leaking and installed a 1.6 or 1.8 radiator cap. Kawasaki makes the 1.6 radiator caps for the KX500 as an option and they fit the XR650R perfectly. Don't even keep that worthless 1.1 stock cap.

• babbs

Posted October 22, 2005 - 08:47 AM

Head gasket

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.