Yzf 400

6 replies to this topic
  • skoot22

Posted October 21, 2005 - 06:41 AM

does anyone know the price to replace a top end

• Yamahondaha

Posted October 21, 2005 - 08:37 AM

It all depends on what is wrong with it. My 99 WR is getting the head and cylinder redone and it is going to be about $500 plus

• skoot22

Posted October 21, 2005 - 09:37 AM

i ended finding out that it is the entire top end from the base gasket up and it looking like its going to be 1000 to 1100 dollars in parts alone. thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • darksun27

Posted October 21, 2005 - 06:53 PM

im my opinion i would just buy a motor off ebay ($500-$1000) thats in decent shape, then take the parts off of it that you need, and then send the stuff u dont need to me for giving such great advice. :banghead:

• PumpkinHumper

Posted October 21, 2005 - 07:13 PM

What exactly is wrong w/ the motor??? There is always options.

• FlashGordon

Posted October 21, 2005 - 08:57 PM

That's too much. I did my 99 YZ400F earlier this year for a lot less. I would not bother with the cam gears unless they look worn. My bike gets a couple thousand miles a year on it, and cam gears were OK, but I change my oil a lot. My piston and rings were not bad, but cam chain was shot, but did it while I was in there. The cam chain guides also looked OK, but I already bought them, so figured I'd play it safe.

$150 Wiesco piston kit including rings (Rocky Mtn)
$40 New Cam Chain (MR Cycles)
$70 Cam Chain Guides
$40 Gasket kit (Rocky Mtn)
$4 side cover gasket

Time: 6 hrs tops taking your time. Don't forget to hone the cylinder

• darksun27

Posted October 22, 2005 - 05:43 AM

ohh yeah i was thinking more along the lines that he had blew up his motor or something having to replace the barrel and everything. But if heys only rebuilding it then yeah its easy and cheap for that matter

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.