YZ 450 IMS oversize tank

6 replies to this topic
  • BlindSide

Posted October 20, 2005 - 03:37 PM

Anybody have one? How has it panned out ? I've got an 04 YZ 450 & I just ordered one, was curious if I could use the stock petcock or not?

• flintlock28

Posted October 20, 2005 - 07:02 PM

I have a 04 Yz 450f also; I use a Zip-Ty oversized tank, and I think that IMS made these tanks for Zip-Ty, (could also be made by Clarke, but I think it was IMS) Anyway, my Zip-ty works fine with the stock petcock....hope this helps

• jacill

Posted October 20, 2005 - 08:04 PM

I put one on my 03 and love it, I used a WR petcock on mine so I could tell when I was running out of juice. Blue tank of course, last time I went to St Anthony with my stocker I ran out of gas twice. So the IMS is very useful.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BlindSide

Posted October 21, 2005 - 05:51 AM

Cool, thanks guys. :banghead:

• 99raptor

Posted October 21, 2005 - 03:00 PM

I have an IMS.Love the tank but they didn't include hose clamps.Doesn't sound like a big deal ,but spend 200$ on a tank they could throw in the clamps.2 different sizes too.The threads weep also where they screw into the tank so make sure you put some thread seal or something on there.

• bxrjim

Posted October 21, 2005 - 03:53 PM

I put a Clarke 3.2 on my 426. Very slim and lowerd the center of gravity a bit too, so good tanks. Better then the big mushroom head the IMS tank had on my KX 250. I'd go with the Clarke, and you can use your petcock on all the tanks I've had IMS or Clarke.

• ksrrider

Posted October 21, 2005 - 07:02 PM

I have an IMS tank on my yz450 and it works great, but you may need to do a couple of things. First, check to see if the tank rubs on the mag head cover, if it does, take some rubber innertube and glue it to the tank at the wear points.
Second put a flush plug on the right side fuel outlet, you don't need it. Then take a crescent wrench and turn your fuel inlet on the carb to the left facing the left petcock. Thats it, your ready to go.
This tank was designed by Ty Davis, and he only uses the left side as well.
Also, use your stock petcock.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.